Thread: Wallet Stains Contents:— Advices?

Question Wallet Stains Contents:— Advices?

Gentlemen [and Ladies, perhaps],

I have a black leather wallet from Dell's Leather Works, which I acquired in 2011. I am well pleased with the item's authenticity and construction, save for one detail: it stains anything kept in it for any span. It is dyed on the inside, and this is leached out onto the contents.

What can I do to cause to cessation of staining?
    --
    I remain,
    Most Respectfully,

Mr. Franklin Jolly

~~~~~~~
    “Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.”

—Commonly Attributed to R. E. Lee.

Possibly the leather wasn't sealed after being stained. Go to Hobby Lobby and get a bottle of leather sealer. (It's a small bottle and will run you around $5). Remember to treat the inside where the dye is leaching as well as the outside.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

FWIW, I have a little brown dyed leather wallet based on an original, and both it and the original are lined in silk. I wonder if that's why? Don't know if yours is constructed in such a way that it could still be lined, but that's another possibility.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com

I have an over 30 year old large bottle of dye that I still use to stain stuff with and have yet to have any leach out. Is that normal for dyes now-a days?
    David Einhorn, Author of the book titled, "Civil War Blacksmithing" available from Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Blac...+blacksmithing

Some modern dyes are oil-based....some are not... the are nots do all sorts of bad things.... Paul Lopes ACWKNAPSACKS also period recipe dyes can be tricky.. a lining is a good idea if it can be done.

Post Thank You, and a Question.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your advices. I think I shall try Mr. Weaver's the next time I am near a Hobby Lobby.

Also, concerning the silk linings mentioned by Mr. Trent, how common were they, and of what weave, colors, and patterns?
    --
    I remain,
    Most Respectfully,

Mr. Franklin Jolly

~~~~~~~
    “Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.”

put a piece of terry cloth inside it and go swimming.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them.
    "I didn't do my homework when I was in school. And, you expect me to do yours for you? Not happening."

What color is the staining? If it is purple, it may be the chemicals in the leather. I'm guessing that you carry your wallet in your pocket. If so, it would be subject to getting wet from sweat. At First Manassas two years ago, I was sweating heavily and the leather tabs on my suspenders "bled" purple stains on my trousers.

Not saying that is the situation but just posting my experience with a leather product.
    Michael Mescher
    visit us at:
    Ragged Soldier Sutlery
    www.raggedsoldier.com

Smile Where Else?

Quote Originally Posted by mmescher View Post
    What color is the staining? If it is purple, it may be the chemicals in the leather. I'm guessing that you carry your wallet in your pocket. If so, it would be subject to getting wet from sweat. At First Manassas two years ago, I was sweating heavily and the leather tabs on my suspenders "bled" purple stains on my trousers.

Not saying that is the situation but just posting my experience with a leather product.

Mr. Mescher,

I know exactly what you mean by bleeding suspenders, for I have experienced the same.

In regard to the wallet, I am assuming by "pocket" you meant "trouser-pocket", and if that is the case, then I do. If you meant pockets in general, well then, where else would I put it? If it had anything to do with being in my pocket, it would probably be the heat, because I don't think sweat did (or could) penetrate as far as where some of the staining was.

For a time, the wallet was my every-day wallet, but never stained anything in my pockets, just in its pockets, which means it is sealed or something on the outside, but not on the inside. Perhaps it has to do with the side of the leather? The outside is the smooth side, while the inside, while soft, is the "rough" side.
    --
    I remain,
    Most Respectfully,

Mr. Franklin Jolly

~~~~~~~