Thread: Want to buy Zouave rifle

Default Want to buy Zouave rifle

I am looking for a Zouave rifle. If anyone has one they no longer need. I am not looking for a brand new one. I will consider a Mississippi rifle as well.

Thanks,

Robert Saye
    R.W.Saye at gmail.com

Pm sent Sir
    (Living History) Pvt. Zachary Mark Henson
    Company I 42nd Mississippi Volunteer Infantry Regiment
    "Mississippi Reds"

"The last romantic and first modern war."
    - Shelby Foote

"If this cause, that is dear to my heart, is doomed to fail, I pray heaven may let me fall with it, while my face is toward the enemy and my arm battling for that which I know is right."
    - Major General Patrick R. Cleburne

How much are you looking to spend? And buy or trade?
    Eugene Yeo
    "I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues." - Dr. Seuss, "The Lorax"

Got that ticking material pattern or leopard skin commutation suit lined up to go along with Zouave rifle?
    Echoes of Glory: Arms and Equipment of the Confederacy. It is tough to use one for reenacting without the other.
    Craig L Barry

Author: The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy

Mr Barry,

I appreciate the humor sir. I am attempting a Ga Armory Rifle, I have researched the endeavor and read what others have said about their attempts. I need a new project to do on my days off.

Respectfully,
    Robert Saye

Armory Guards
    Shingleroof Boys
    Snake Nation Disciples

Quote Originally Posted by RSAYE View Post
    Mr Barry,

I appreciate the humor sir. I am attempting a Ga Armory Rifle, I have researched the endeavor and read what others have said about their attempts. I need a new project to do on my days off.

Respectfully,
    GunBroker always has at least a half dozen Zouves for sale at any one time. You should be able to find one in excellent condition for under $500.

Quote Originally Posted by California Joe View Post
    GunBroker always has at least a half dozen Zouves for sale at any one time. You should be able to find one in excellent condition for under $500.
    You can't make a decent Georgia Armory Rifle out of the 'Zouave' or repro-Remington contract rifle (whatever you want to call it) anymore than you can "make a silk purse out of a sow's ear", as Curt-Heinrich Schmidt used to say. Pick a project with some upside to it. But as California Joe points out, they are far from rare and used examples proliferate on gun-joker.com and other auction sites.

Here is what Curt had to say back about five years ago on the subject:

"Georgia Armory rifles are some of the most "problematical" of Southern made rifles as there are no surviving specimens that are entirely Georgia Armory made- their being typically collections of parts such as US marked buttplates, barrels, bands, and seemingly parts cannibalized from other other guns with CS manufactured parts as needed. It is believed that the particular GA rifle is a hybrid U.S. M1855 "copy" where the CS departed from their "norm" in making relative "copies" of the U.S. M1841 and occasionally the Enfield Short Rifle (and disregarding the Harpers Ferry M1855 rifle based Fayetteville made rifles).

The Remington M1863 Contract Rifle (aka "Zouave") is itself sort of a hybrid- being a development of Remington's contract to make M1841's and their doing their own thing as it were combining elements of both the M1841 and M1855 rifles into a new beastie. Using an repro "Zouave" for the basis of a Georgia Armory type M1855 clone would not work "well," IMHO because:

1. the Remington so-called "Zouave" parts such as buttplate, patchbox, trigger guard are similar but not the same dimensions as the M1855 Rifle

2. the two barrel bands and nosecap are distinctively different than the "Zouave's"

3. the lockplate would need stripped and restamped with "Ga. Armory" over say "1862 or ""1863" or "1864."

All in all, I would rather go with trying to make a reproduction M1841 into say a CS Ashville, or M.A. Baker, or C. Chapman, or Davis & Bozeman, or Dickson, Nelson & Co, or Gilliam & Miller, or H.C. Lamb, or Mendenhall, Jones & Gardner, or J.P. Murray, "Mississippi clone" rifle. Or, for that matter, even one of the mid 1850's and early 1860's U.S. reworked M1841's with rear sights and bayonet mounts (or bored to fifty eight cal)."
    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 08-27-2013 at 05:39 PM.
    Craig L Barry

Author: The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Craig L Barry View Post
    You can't make a decent Georgia Armory Rifle out of the 'Zouave' or repro-Remington contract rifle (whatever you want to call it) anymore than you can "make a silk purse out of a sow's ear", as Curt-Heinrich Schmidt used to say. Pick a project with some upside to it. But as California Joe points out, they are far from rare and used examples proliferate on gun-joker.com and other auction sites.

Here is what Curt had to say back about five years ago on the subject:

"Georgia Armory rifles are some of the most "problematical" of Southern made rifles as there are no surviving specimens that are entirely Georgia Armory made- their being typically collections of parts such as US marked buttplates, barrels, bands, and seemingly parts cannibalized from other other guns with CS manufactured parts as needed. It is believed that the particular GA rifle is a hybrid U.S. M1855 "copy" where the CS departed from their "norm" in making relative "copies" of the U.S. M1841 and occasionally the Enfield Short Rifle (and disregarding the Harpers Ferry M1855 rifle based Fayetteville made rifles).

The Remington M1863 Contract Rifle (aka "Zouave") is itself sort of a hybrid- being a development of Remington's contract to make M1841's and their doing their own thing as it were combining elements of both the M1841 and M1855 rifles into a new beastie. Using an repro "Zouave" for the basis of a Georgia Armory type M1855 clone would not work "well," IMHO because:

1. the Remington so-called "Zouave" parts such as buttplate, patchbox, trigger guard are similar but not the same dimensions as the M1855 Rifle

2. the two barrel bands and nosecap are distinctively different than the "Zouave's"

3. the lockplate would need stripped and restamped with "Ga. Armory" over say "1862 or ""1863" or "1864."

All in all, I would rather go with trying to make a reproduction M1841 into say a CS Ashville, or M.A. Baker, or C. Chapman, or Davis & Bozeman, or Dickson, Nelson & Co, or Gilliam & Miller, or H.C. Lamb, or Mendenhall, Jones & Gardner, or J.P. Murray, "Mississippi clone" rifle. Or, for that matter, even one of the mid 1850's and early 1860's U.S. reworked M1841's with rear sights and bayonet mounts (or bored to fifty eight cal)."
    Others have tried.

http://www.gunauction.com/search/dis...temnum=9136586

Thank you for the input Gent's. Mods please close this one down.
    Robert Saye

Armory Guards
    Shingleroof Boys
    Snake Nation Disciples