Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150th Battle of Wilderness.

Default 150th Battle of Wilderness.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a 150th Wilderness next year?

David Hulsey
    33rdAla/6th Ind

In honor of John W Brady,Capt 39th Georgia Co.K
    Killed in action May 15 1864,Resaca Georgia.

I have heard rumors of a 150th Overland campaign,but only that.I am assuming that since the Chancellorsvulle event was pretty successful,there may be something in the works.I certainly hope so!We are still almost a year away,and anything can happen
    it would certainly be neat to find a spot that was actually LIKE the Wilderness,and not just open field,but that might be wishfull thinking and really hard to do.At any rate,i look forward to it and maybe the oppurtunity to tramp aroung some of the hard to get to N Anna sites,on my next visit to Va.

The event announcer at the C-ville event said they would be hosting a Wilderness-Spotsylvania event next year. I was very sorry to hear that because C-ville was, IMO, a lousy event.
    - Ernesto Serna

"...I'm struck by the contradiction at the core of Civil War reenacting. On the surface it's a hyper-macho hobby, focused on guns and battle. But the longer I hang out with hardcores ... the more they remind me of supermodels, chatting endlessly about their jackets and shoes and hair and how many pounds they've lost since the last event." - Tony Horwitz

Default Chancellosville had its moments....

...but a moment does not a weekend make. It speaks for itself that my favorite moment of that event was when the entire Federal force of infantry -- which was about half the size forecast -- was in column and crossing the road to the venue. After that, it was not so wonderful.

I think we expect a bit more these days -- even the mainstreamers.

B.C. Milligan
    Company K, First Penna. Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Che View Post
    The event announcer at the C-ville event said they would be hosting a Wilderness-Spotsylvania event next year. I was very sorry to hear that because C-ville was, IMO, a lousy event.
    The solution is simple. Don't go. And, encourage others to do the same. If the products bad, why do "we" keep buying it?
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them. Maybe you should look up the history of the 83rd Pennsylvania too, they make the 20th Maine look like the rookies they were.
    There are some very good books out there about the fighting on Culps and Lower Culps Hill. Vincent's Brigade had nothing on those boys at the other end of the line.

Oh, I definitely won't. But others rarely listen to me. Their loss. ;-D
    - Ernesto Serna

"...I'm struck by the contradiction at the core of Civil War reenacting. On the surface it's a hyper-macho hobby, focused on guns and battle. But the longer I hang out with hardcores ... the more they remind me of supermodels, chatting endlessly about their jackets and shoes and hair and how many pounds they've lost since the last event." - Tony Horwitz

I dunno,i suppose everyone goes to events for differnt reasons..Anyway,this IS the Sesquicentennial,and I decided since I wasnt supposed to be around for any of them,i would try and make all I could.Chancellorsville was ok,but time spent with family and visiting various CW sites on the same trip made it better.Maybe ,if there is unhappiness,someone could try and convince the BGA to take the reins on this one.
    It could be a great Wilderness/Spotsylvania/Yellow Tavern event!

I went to Chancellorsville, which I would not call a good event. I would still be tempted to go back for Wilderness/Spotsylvania, but only because it's the 150th.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but it seems like the reenactment of a battle that took place mostly in the woods should at least be held in the woods! (I realize that it's Virginia, and the state of modern Virginia creates problems.)

They could do Saunder's Field, over and over and over........
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them. Maybe you should look up the history of the 83rd Pennsylvania too, they make the 20th Maine look like the rookies they were.
    There are some very good books out there about the fighting on Culps and Lower Culps Hill. Vincent's Brigade had nothing on those boys at the other end of the line.

I see a website has been launched and dates procured for this event for those that are interested.

http://150spotsylvania.com/