Thread: Doug Dobbs Gets His Revenge

Default Doug Dobbs Gets His Revenge

While Doug isn't the type who would feel Schadenfreude (glee at others' misfortunes), he certainly could be forgiven for taking some satisfaction in this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/09/us...nity.html?_r=0

For the record, it's appropriate that Doug has received this recognition, because frankly he puts most "hardcores" to shame, having made the Sixth Corps march any number of years (along with at least one other pariah who has the "wrong" gender for some hardcores, who couldn't do that march if their lives depended on it). As a hobby, we tend to see Rob Hodge as our poster boy. It's time Doug got some props, too.

And Rob, I know you and I have only met about a half-dozen times, but maybe you'll remember me next time, LOL?

Campaigners treated Doug badly in the past, including when Heath and others took the Burkittsville event away from him in 2001. I would be the first to apologize for that if I'd been part of the takers, though I did not protest the move at the time or even later. Those who were responsible, you know who you are.
    Bill Cross
    Treasurer, The Rowdy Pards

'In the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of tomfoolery can explain away anything that makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong."

A minor quibble -- I'd say he got some deserved recognition. Doug's not the type to need or want revenge. But your points are well taken. Kudos to Doug and Joe and Rob.
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

...spending a week marching 120 miles from Chantilly, Va., to Gettysburg, arriving at the battlefield at 4 p.m. on July 2, as the 15th New Jersey Company E did exactly 150 years earlier. He and three companions, all dressed in the heavy wool coats and breeches of the Union army, marched 37 miles on the final day of their trip...
    I once walked/ran 26.2 miles, but I was 29 years younger, fit, with good equipment and clothing, and I was still so worn out I could hardly make it home. These boys have my respect.
    Mel Glover

Rob Weaver is my guru:
    -"...one of the characteristics of a good reenactor is the willingness to not be bulletproof."
    -"Be more concerned with your own impression than with anyone else's."

You really are an old, bitter man aren't you?

You could have just posted the story and said something nice about Mr. Dobbs who does deserve praise and admiration for his accomplishment.

But instead you purposefully posted inflamatory and derisive commentary. I always considered you an old, tired and burned-out sort... I can add a few additional things that the word filter won't allow in print.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Cross View Post
    While Doug isn't the type who would feel Schadenfreude (glee at others' misfortunes), he certainly could be forgiven for taking some satisfaction in this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/09/us...nity.html?_r=0

For the record, it's appropriate that Doug has received this recognition, because frankly he puts most "hardcores" to shame, having made the Sixth Corps march any number of years (along with at least one other pariah who has the "wrong" gender for some hardcores, who couldn't do that march if their lives depended on it). As a hobby, we tend to see Rob Hodge as our poster boy. It's time Doug got some props, too.

And Rob, I know you and I have only met about a half-dozen times, but maybe you'll remember me next time, LOL?

Campaigners treated Doug badly in the past, including when Heath and others took the Burkittsville event away from him in 2001. I would be the first to apologize for that if I'd been part of the takers, though I did not protest the move at the time or even later. Those who were responsible, you know who you are.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Proud Member of...
    69th NYSV Historical Association - USMC Historical Company - Washington Guard

Builder and Maintainer of the Ray Prosteen Memorial Event Calendar

OH... and its pretty easy to make a swipe at a man, God rest his soul, who isn't around to challenge your grasp of reality or the facts.

That makes you something else the word filter would screen... but it is a term used to describe a small feline or the female genatalia.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Proud Member of...

Where's the like button?
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them.
    "I didn't do my homework when I was in school. And, you expect me to do yours for you? Not happening."

I don't hide behind PMs...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cross
    Sir, there is much you don't know about Mr. Heath and my connection with him. I see no point in disputing your conception of the man, but should let you know that he did much harm, both to individuals and the hobby collectively, including exulting to me about taking the Burkittsville event away from Doug Dobbs because he "wasn't the right one to run it." If that offends you, then so be it.
    Yes, I had the pleasure to meet him, work with him and learn from him. What you might consider "damage" others of us consider "the Lord's work"... what I find despicable about you at this moment that 4 years after a man's death you trot out his memory to tread on concerning something that happened 12 years ago.

You could have just said something nice about Mr. Dobbs, but instead decided to go an antagonize people and throw barbs at someone who isn't here to defend himself.

You're a despicable example of humanity.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Proud Member of...

Mr. Berezuk, I find it incredible that you would criticize my ethics and then publish a private communication. That's pretty hilarious if it weren't so hypocritical. I guess you're no better than you say I am. Welcome to the muck.

Charles Heath made many enemies in this hobby, and though I see no point in rehashing the entirety of that, your defense of a real scoundrel is offensive in the highest. This forum for years was a mess because of his multiple accounts, trolling and the use of beards to carry his water. He sabotaged events and groups. You weren't there, so you have no standing to speak out. If Mr. Heath found redemption for his actions later in life, then I am happy for him, as he was a troubled soul.

That doesn't change anything he did, and I stand by what I said, including my own culpability in treating Mr. Dobbs in a swinish manner.
    Bill Cross
    Treasurer, The Rowdy Pards

'In the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of tomfoolery can explain away anything that makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong."

Starting to get out of hand.
    Very Respectfully
    Your Obedient Servant,

Henry Hancock, Esq.

[U](Running CW Trails such as the JFK 50 miler got me hooked on reenacting. Starts in Boonesboro and proceeds over South Mountain, Harpers Ferry, Williamsport.)[/U]