Thread: Reproduction bottles

Default Reproduction bottles

Not sure if anyone has posted this site. Nice looking bottles.

http://www.dogriverglass.com
    Paul Bostick
    Stillwater, OK

"For bad coffee, I play bad. For good coffee... I play the same as for bad coffee, it's all a matter of perspective".

To GGrandDad Captain TCK Bostick, Army of Mississippi, 2nd Corp, 5th Regiment, Company I (Kemper Rebels). Killed at the battle of Shiloh

Interesting. Could be that Mr Sekala has acquired the old Dog River Glass company name, as the address is the same for both operations.

That explains what I was seeing in his sales tent at Gettysburg.

Good, there's a gap in the marketplace that's now filled. While I've been downsizing, I didn't even offer my old stock Dog River items publically, but placed them by word of mouth with folks who understood and appreciated them.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

This company Dog River glass is no longer in business...it is my understanding that the owner passed away. The website is still active, but they are not in business. Sekela has the remainder of the stock.
    Your Humble Servant,

Sean R. Otis

124th NYSV Co.A "Orange Blossoms"

Middlesex Lodge F&AM

Well, see Sean, that was my understanding too. But there's a brand new Facebook site, and an updated website.

In addition to the made stock, the remaining blowing moulds existed at the time of the owner's death. I'm hoping there is also a revived production line.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

The FB page is over a year old, but I do suspect that it is Sekela who runs it.
    Your Humble Servant,

Sean R. Otis

Middlesex Lodge F&AM

I collect antique bottles, and those are excellent reproductions. Exactly like some I'm looking at even as I write. I do have a question, though. Bottles are cheap, available and pretty sturdy. I recently paid under $10 for a whisky bottle that they're retailing for $16. I'm not trying to pick a fight or sound dumb, but what's the point? I have 19th century bottles that I've carried in my haversack (!) for 10 years and they're no worse for wear.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Rob,

I have been known to do the same thing. I have one experience that happened at Corinth a few years ago that made me think harder about doing it again. I don't know what it was about that event and our company, but every piece of original glassware was in jeopardy after I popped the crystal in my 1861 pocket watch. We then went on the march to the battle and one of the fellas in the company had a corn flower blue Taylor/Washington flask in his haversack. When we stopped to rest we heard a pop from his haversack and knew exactly what had happened. That one was a tough pill to swallow, but was the risk we take when doing this. It remains a personal decision in what they want to do with their money, but at some point historical preservation should take some consideration. Having said that, I still wag a wicker covered whiskey bottle from time to time.
    Mitchell L Critel
    Trouble Maker

Yeh, I see your point. I have some 18th century glassware that I got for what I know was a real low-ball price, and that wouldn't be easy to duplicate. Those only see the light of day when I can use them, show them off and put them back in the car afterwards. Still, mid-19th c. glassware of all types is pretty available, and it makes a good study to research and look for good examples that you can use reenacting. I do a fair amount of antiqueing, and I have a little list of things that I'm always on the lookout for. Period cookware and bottles are permanent items on that list.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Quote Originally Posted by orangeblossoms View Post
    The FB page is over a year old, but I do suspect that it is Sekela who runs it.
    E-mailed vendor yesterday and got a fast reply that all items on their website are still available for sale.
    I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Quarter Gunner & Apprentice Sailmaker, R. Bohlman, CSN
    late of the C.S.S. Ram Arkansas,
    now attached to the CS Naval Station
    Jackson, Mississippi

Member USNLP
    http://www.usnlp.org/

Soldiers Rest Cemetery, Vicksburg, MS
    Aide-toi et Dieu t'aidera

Member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans
    Camp # 265, Rankin County Rough and Ready’s
    http://www.scv265.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Quarter Gunner Bohlman View Post
    E-mailed vendor yesterday and got a fast reply that all items on their website are still available for sale.
    But who is the vendor?? That is the question. Since the original owner of Dog River passed away, who is running it? Is it Sekela?
    Your Humble Servant,

Sean R. Otis

Middlesex Lodge F&AM