TO: ALL CONFEDERATE REENACTMENT UNITS
SONS OF CONFEDERATE VETERANS CAMPS
UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY CHAPTERS
ALL HISTORICAL, PATRIOTIC, HEREDITARY ORGANIZATIONS
ALL FRIENDS OF THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA
SUBJECT: ANNUAL CONFEDERATE MEMORIAL DAY CEREMONY
SATURDAY, JUNE 1, 2013 , 10:30 A.M.
LOUDON PARK , CEMETERY 3800 BLOCK FREDERICK Rd. ,
CONFEDERATE MEMORIAL DAY is celebrated in Maryland each year on the first weekend in June nearest to the birthday of President Jefferson Davis, Once again this year the Colonel Harry W. Gilmor Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans has the honor of assisting the Maryland Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy in planning and presenting the CONFEDERATE MEMORIAL DAY ceremony at Loudon Park Cemetery, Baltimore, Maryland.
The purpose of the ceremony is to honor the thousands of soldiers who served the Confederacy during the War Between the States. Over 600 Confederate soldiers are buried at Loudon Park including Colonel Harry W. Gilmor, General Bradley T. Johnson, and Colonel James R. Herbert. Almost all of the states that gave troops to the Cause of Southern Independence are represented by the honored dead at Loudon Park.
We would like to cordially invite you and all the members and friends of your organization to participate in this important annual ceremony. The event can only be successful with your help. CONFEDERATE MEMORIAL DAY will be held on SATURDAY, JUNE 1, 2013 at 10:30 A.M. Loudon Park Cemetery is located at the 3800 block Frederick Rd.. in southwest Baltimore. This is about three to four mile east of Exit 13 of the Baltimore beltway, Rt. 695. We would like to have all military units meet at Confederate Hill between 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.
The tentative program includes:
* March on of troops
* Invocation by UDC Chaplain
* Pledge of Allegiance to the US flag
* Salute to the Confederate flag
* Introduction and welcoming remarks by SCV, MOSB, and UDC representatives.
* Presentation of memorial wreaths and floral tributes by various patriotic
organizations and military units. Please let me know if you plan to bring a wreath.
* Dedication of Adopt a Confederate grave markers. 43 new markers
will be dedicated .
* Rifle salute
THE UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY WILL PROVIDE REFRESHMENTS; LEMONADE, COOKIES, ETC. FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS AND SPECTATORS FOLLOWING THE CEREMONY. BRING YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS.
* Military units, please bring ALL your colors, your drummers and fifers, if any, and as many men as you can muster. Please consider dressing as you would for a parade, not field duty. We ask that reenactors under 16 years of age not carry muskets or edged weapons.
* If you have contacts in other Confederate reenactment units, please invite them or ask them to call us for details.
* All groups, military or civilian are encouraged to bring wreaths or floral tributes to be placed at the Stonewall Jackson Monument in memory of our Confederate patriots.
* If you have contacts in the PRESS, invite them to attend.
For additional details call Elliott Cummings 410-296-9235. . THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
G. Elliott Cummings
Col. Harry W. Gilmor Camp #1388, SCV