Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medals?

Quote Originally Posted by SackCoat View Post
    About the only thing you can do is try and do it right and hope to influence others in doing the same thing.

Gave up trying to judge what other reenactors are doing incorrectly and found I enjoy the hobby better. Otherwise I would have quit the hobby out of frustration.
    Truer words have never been spoken. Remember: the only impression you can control is your own. I've traveled the same path as you and have come to the same conclusion.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Default Wearing medals

Can we assume that they do not wear them into the the battlefield.

It would be a mistake to assume that.
    Frank

I've seen people wear them out to fight, and in a few rare cases, the event organizer was hoping that the medal would stand in for a registration card. I wear the ones my unit allows when I do Soviet WW2, and I wear my real ones on appropriate patriotic holidays. I gave my band, choir and reenacting medals to my son to play with.
    Rob Weaver
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."

There is no end to the farbiness that finds a home in this hobby.

Actually, I can understand it. Our clubs take on a history and a life all their own, and before you know it you have real history and reenacting history kinda sorta existing alongside one another. It's just a variation on "We have a tradition in this unit that..." Usually the "that" is some sort of non-period behavior that has its roots in some event that was memorable for the membership, at least at one time. Striking and wearing medals is kinda like that. It's a way of saying "You and I belong to an exclusive fraternity. 35 years ago, I would have done anythingg for a medal, now I just pass 'em by.
    Rob Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Weaver View Post
    Actually, I can understand it. Our clubs take on a history and a life all their own, and before you know it you have real history and reenacting history kinda sorta existing alongside one another. It's just a variation on "We have a tradition in this unit that..." Usually the "that" is some sort of non-period behavior that has its roots in some event that was memorable for the membership, at least at one time. Striking and wearing medals is kinda like that. It's a way of saying "You and I belong to an exclusive fraternity. 35 years ago, I would have done anythingg for a medal, now I just pass 'em by.
    Sounds like a good example of the attitude: It's not about them, it's about us.

I always liked that slogan, the right way around of course: It's not about us, it's about them.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com

We attend an event every fall that uses the medal as the proof of registration thing. It comes with a pendant showing Grant but the rebs are given a second pendant with Lee on it so they can swap them. I add the Lee right on with the Grant so I have two pendants, then carry the whole contraption in my pocket to show at the chow line.

I not only see these modern event medals, but also modern St Barbara medals on the Arty guys.

Harry
    Member 5th Texas Co. A/1st NC Artillery. Disabled Viet Nam veteran, 1970. I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now! Read my column in "Camp Chase Gazette".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4UcaLHaabY