Thread: A call to arms (or action rather...)

Default A call to arms (or action rather...)

I rarely post on this forum...choosing rather to quietly fume or chuckle at the general discourse. Today, however, as I listened to the local news as I drove through the Manassas battlefield on my way to work, I heard a story about an attorney in Leesburg, Virginia, who has taken it upon himself to campaign for the removal of a statue of a Confederate soldier in the square of the courthouse...

I have been a history student since the age of 9. I have been a battekfield tour guide for 10 years, and a reenactor for more than 15 years...I will never wear a grey uniform...as a matter of choice. But this kind of ignorance being exhibited by this gentleman is precisely why I reenact, why I volunteer in schools, and why I am posting this today. One can assume that this attorney has some level of education which afforded him the opportunity to reach his station, but I think perhaps he could benefit from a little reminder of what it took to forge this nation out of the ashes of the Civil War, and it is not his providence to determine how we choose to honor the dead from that conflict. I would encourage everyone to contact this gentleman: John Flannery, Attorney, Leesburg, Virginia telephone 703.771-8344 e-mail: johnflan@aol.com
    Erek Dorman,
    Brigadier General, Senior Aide de camp,
    Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Middle Division

"There is only one decisive victory: the last."
    - Carl von Clausewitz

"There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people."
    - Generaloberst Heinz Guderian

Quote Originally Posted by wheres_my_horse View Post
    I didn't see anything about the statue at that link.

A news story on the statue:
    http://www.wtop.com/159/3322329/105-...roversy-Photos

This seems to be the heart of it:

Attorney John Flannery, who often has cases in the courthouse, wants the statue moved elsewhere. He says it's intimidating to some of his clients.

"It deters people. It chills them from believing they can get a fair shake in court," he says.

Flannery says he's actually had clients who are afraid they won't get justice in a courthouse after seeing the statue.

"It's a living, active courthouse, which already has challenges in terms of discrimination in terms of persons of color, and not only them."
    Apparently some blacks on trial (and maybe some whites too) don't like to see a Confederate soldier aiming a gun toward them as they enter the courthouse. I don't really see it as an example of ignorance; more of an example of history being too vivid.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com

Actually, my link was background for the lawyer who has a particular political leaning.

Is he asking for the stocks and whipping posts to be removed from the courthouse grounds? Nope.

And the statue is NOT aiming his weapon, at best it is a low "charge bayonets" position.
    Last edited by wheres_my_horse; 05-15-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    Mike Schramm

Maybe they should just move it next to the statue of the Loudoun Ranger.
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

Modern political posting - here's the lock...
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010