Thread: Drill

Default Drill

Okay so I've done some reading on Casey and Hardee's Manuals and still cannot figure out the 1-2 count we do down the line upon formation...are "1s" the front rank and "2s" the second? How do we form up for a battle line from a column? Any info is much appreciated...

Default More reading needed...

Quote Originally Posted by medic744 View Post
    Okay so I've done some reading on Casey and Hardee's Manuals and still cannot figure out the 1-2 count we do down the line upon formation...are "1s" the front rank and "2s" the second? How do we form up for a battle line from a column? Any info is much appreciated...
    You need to read it closer. The 1-2 count is done when in double ranks already. It tells us where we are when we right (or left) face into fours.

Read this page, it might help...

http://www.drillnet.net/Formco.htm

Count starts with the file (both the front and rear rank) immediately beside the 1st Sergeant (to his left). That file (both front and rear rank) are "1", the file to their left is "2" and so on. The front and rear rank hold the same number.

There are animations online that can show you some basic maneuvers, both here and here.

Forming into a battle line from a column depends on whether you are at the right flank, or the left flank. From the right flank, the "1s" simply turn the the left 90 degrees, with the rear rank stepping one pace to close the gap with the front rank. The "2s" will step to the left of the "1s".

"In two ranks, count two's....."
    Casey's, page 12 (in my book), paragraph 16 under Title 1, Article 1, Formation of Infantry in Order of Battle:
    "The odd and even files (note: front and rear rank men forming a file), numbered as one, two, in the company, from right to left, will form groups of four men, who will be designated comrades in battle."

Now, as to a "column"......
    Many people, officers included, incorrectly think that a unit marching by the flank, in fours, is a "column". It is simply marching by the flank. The term "column" tended to be used more for a column of companies (one company of a regiment/battalion marching one behind the other) or a column of divisions (two companies side-by-side, marching the same way).

Now, assuming that you are referring to a "column" as troops marching by the flank, how they come into a battlefront depends upon which direction they are marching (by the right or left flank), and in which direction the commander wishes them to turn in order to form the battleline/face the enemy.
    If they are marching by the right flank, and the commander wishes them to form battleline to the left (towards their original front), all he has to do is to tell them to either "front" or "By the left flank, halt" to bring them into positon. If by the left flank, the command would be "front" or "By the right flank, halt".
    If the commander wishes them to face in the opposite direction of their original front, he can use the "By file into line" commands.
    If they are to form battleline in the same direction in which the flank march is moving, there are a number of ways to do this, the simplest being to designate upon which company the line is to form, all companies doing a "By company into line", forming a column of companies, and then the designated company continuing to march forward while the other companies move to their appropriate respective places in line of battle around it.
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B

Its in here, right after forming the company

http://books.google.com/books?id=i29...rch%22&f=false
    Bob Martin
    Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
    Company A "Chesapeake Rifles"

This is the best explanation I've seen from any period or antebellum manual about facing and doubling : http://books.google.com/books?id=Jv2...page&q&f=false It's from Infantry Tactics for Schools (1863). Don't let the title fool you. There's some great stuff in here. The text has an accompanying illustration for the first position after the company faces to the right in twos as indicated in all the schools of the soldier, but reenactors just don't seem to notice. It includes the sidestep to the right by the former rear rank and then the doubling.

This little gem also has the best method I've seen for how to post corporals after the company is formed by height.
    - Silas Tackitt

"I consider him a humbug, a man of small capacity, very obstinate, not at all chivalrous, exceedingly conceited, and totally selfish." - - Lafayette McLaws about James Longstreet.