Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brain Freeze

Default Brain Freeze

So after freezing my head off all weekend I have come to the conclusion I need a "winter" style hat.. Either a knit wool or something like that. Any suggestions? I have a very fast knitter in the family, but wanted to see if that was a practice in the 1800's or not. This would be worn just around the camp fire or for sleeping. Not in place of kepi or slouch hat.
    Rob Frost
    4th Indiana Light Artillery

Contact Tere Lawson, she's one of the moderators here and an expert on period knitting. And, she makes a fine camp hat.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them.
    "I didn't do my homework when I was in school. And, you expect me to do yours for you? Not happening."

Yes, homemade "sleeping caps" and other styles of wool-knit hats were common and I think "under-represented" in the hobby. I did a field modification on mine and sewed in a canton-flannel lining as the wool-knit made my head itch. (Something to keep in mind)

As Eli suggested, talking with someone who is familiar with period knitting will be helpful to you.

Joe Musgrove
    "I fight for Uncle Abe"

Sleeping caps are a big help, especially on a cold night. Buy yourself several.
    Fritz Jacobs
    CPT, QM, USAR (Ret)
    VP Kentucky Soldiers Aide Society
    CPTFritz@aol.com

I can vouch for the superb quality of the sleeping caps made by Ms. Kathy Bradford. I have owned several others over the years, and hers are by far the best. Plus, proceeds go to preservation. Check out the link below for photos and email addresses.

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...=sleeping+caps

thx,
    Mark
    Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D

I agree with Mark. Kathy makes an excellent sleeping cap. It made a world of difference when it came to getting a good nights sleep
    James Teeple
    24th MO Infantry
    www.24thmissouri.org

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery 1861 View Post
    So after freezing my head off all weekend I have come to the conclusion I need a "winter" style hat.. Either a knit wool or something like that. Any suggestions? I have a very fast knitter in the family, but wanted to see if that was a practice in the 1800's or not. This would be worn just around the camp fire or for sleeping. Not in place of kepi or slouch hat.

Ah, so you have a fast knitter who loves you, and you live in the Great Frozen North.

Here's a link to a pattern I transcribed years ago, for the compulsive knitter. Only folks I really love get this hat.

The pattern is a couple of posts down in the thread. Tell your knitter she can drop down to a size 3 and a dk or fingering weight without really making substantial size change in the finished product as she will block it to your head size. I've made it in everything from a fine handspun to a modern worsted without varying the number of stitches.

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...highlight=Knit

If you want yarn dyed with period natural dyes for this, I'll sell you that too.

As an added plus, once this hat is blocked and fulled, it can be used to carry water in a pinch. While I was working from an 1840's published pattern, the particular hat can be documented to extant originals and genre paintings for several hundred years prior.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Thanks to everyone for the info. This is just what I was wanting. Good places to start looking and decide which way I want to go.
    Rob Frost
    4th Indiana Light Artillery

You'll appreciate it. I've always thought that a good warm hat was worth an extra blanket on those cold nights.
    Mel Glover

Rob Weaver is my guru:
    -"...one of the characteristics of a good reenactor is the willingness to not be bulletproof."
    -"Be more concerned with your own impression than with anyone else's."

Kathy Bradford's sleeping caps are awesome!
    Frank Perkin
    WIG