Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confederate sack coats

Question Confederate sack coats

My artillery unit has decided to galvanize as Gwinnetts Battery D 9th Georgia artillery Batt. I've had conflicting opinions from some of the mainstream sutlers about how common sack coat usage might have been. I have the union artillery shell with all it's red tapes and a plain union sack that I use in warmer weather. What are your thoughts to using a grey sack for those few times I galvanize?

Geo. Dailey
    USNLP (western waters)
    Battery D 1st Michigan/9th Georgia Light artillery

What type of sack? Is it just a gray version of a federal sack coat? If so, there is little to support that. Is it a NC issue early war sack coat? That would work for a certain impression but not "generic". There were a few CS types of sack coat but they are by no means the usual. If you want close to a generic CS impression, best bet is an enlisted frock coat. Keep in mind there is no "generic" impression that would work for all periods or theaters. The book on CS military clothing of the period is long and complex.

Chris is right, the enlisted frock will be about as generic as you can get. Photgraphs show use in both eastern and western theaters from 61-65.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island, #409 AFM
    Governor Guards
    SCAR, WIG
    www.scareenactors.com
    www.westernindependentgrays.org
    www.governorguards.com

Philip Cav Guest

If you still would like a sack coat, Ben Tart sells very good quality jean, satinnete, cassmire, and plains woolen civilian sack coats. Either that or a frock coat.

Default Why not this

Would the cs 4 button sack that wwand co offers be too specific? It's just like TV Brooke's coat-but a direct repro of that would obviously be specific
    Phil Guenther
    progressively authentic
    Hard Workin Pards
    the Columbia Rifles
    The Living History Guild

Thanks for the feedback. 9th GA artillery served up in Va early then at Chickamauga and back up north for Petersburg etc. Most of the events we attend are mainstream and as such the levels of authenticity are lax. I don't need the most authentic for the few times I may be asked to don grey. LOL

Geo

With all due respect, why did you bother to ask the question then? If authenticity, even on a minor level, is unimportant, why would you care if they are common or not since your only issue is cost?

Christopher,
    I don't remember mentioning cost. My artillery and Naval officer's pilot coat were done at The Quartermaster Shop. My Naval enlisted uniforms including dress jacket (monkey jacket) from Hesson Clothiers, Naval officers hat from Dirty Billies. There are pictures of regt. sack coats throughout both east and west campaigns. My original question dealt with the probability of a sack/regiment coat. From what I've received in feedback the coat while not common would not necessarily be inappropriate. In all likelihood I'll pick up one of the southern shells (columbus/atlanta depot etc) Again thanks for the responses. The W/W website has a nice sack coat offering. As a rather portly/rotund person 50-54 jacket my uniforms will never be cheap LMAO!!!

geo. Dailey
    Last edited by navygunner; 04-16-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Sorry. I'm with Chris. I'm not sure why you even asked the question since you already had your own answer.
    Bob Williams
    26th NCT
    AAIG, Carolina Legion

Default sorry

Sorry? I Should have asked whether anyone had knowledge of what this battery wore. Won't bother anyone any longer. Once again thanks for the responses. Mods can lock it down.

G. Dailey