Thread: knife sheath

Default knife sheath

anyone know how to make a period style sheath

What period and what type of blade? I've done colonial/frontiersman stuff for years and made several for myself and friends but the type of blade and such makes a difference as to how the sheath/scabbard is constructed.

Bushwhacker
    http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h8...clothes007.jpg

Bushwhacker
    Pvt.;10th Mo. Infantry/Artillery CSA

well offhand the simplest way would be to take a piece of cardboard and fold it around the blade and cut that closely around the blade outline to use as a pattern..then take your leather (from an old boot top er what have ya) cut to fit the pattern and sew up the edge then either cut two slots in the back for the belt or..cut the body of the sheath longer ( so that it covers the knife handle) then trim away that leaving a flap in the back ...then cut your slots into that. the knife will hang lower with this way... primitive but it with at least cover the business end
    pvt Gary Mitchell
    2nd Va Cavalry Co. C
    Stuart's Horse Artillery

A typical kind of sheath from the period is a "center seam" sheath. You might be able to find directions online for making them by googling that. You wrap the leather around so the seam is in the center of one side of the sheath, rather than along one edge, and sew it there. Period bayonet scabbards are similar.

Though there were belt hangers in the period, they weren't as common as they are today. It was quite common for a knife to be tucked behind the belt instead. A lot of period knives had a metal throat around the top of the sheath, like a bayonet sheath, and it might have a boss in one side to keep the knife from slipping down past the belt. The metal throat is also useful because it can be adjusted by squeezing to set the pressure on the blade just right and keep the knife from falling out.

Here's an example of a typical sheath, with a metal tip and throat, showing the side where the seam is visible:

http://www.cowanauctions.com/itemImages/tee5866.jpg

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com

Hallo!

Well covered...

Im brief and to over generalize...

Sheaths can fall into five broad groupings:

1. one piece folded
    2. one piece "center rear seam"
    3. two piece (front and back)
    4. wooden case covered in leather/hide
    5. commercial/professiomnal grade with metal throats and tips

Then add the variious methods of attachment to the wasitbelt, such as:

-simple slits in the rear
    -intregal belt loop fodled over and stitched down
    -added on belt loop often stitched at top and bottom of tab
    -tie strings/thongs
    - stud or button on the metal throat

A good place to look is in the 18th century "trekking" community baords for "home spun" or "primitive" knives and sheaths. Among surviving originals, NUG, the older the leather sheath is, the smaller their survival rate- so knives tend to out-number sheaths.

Curt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

Not a real Civil War reenactor, I only portray one on boards and fora.
    I do not portray a Civil War soldier, I merely interpret one.