Thread: Looking to help with an unit on the 3rd day of the BGA Gettysburg 150th

Default Looking to help with an unit on the 3rd day of the BGA Gettysburg 150th

I will be doing the BGA Gettysburg 150th with my normal unit the 2nd USSS. We will probably not be involved with the 3rd days action unless they have us hold the right flank on the center like one of the USSS Company's did. I can do either artillery or infantry.
    1st Sergt 2nd USSS Co. C
    "My plans are perfect, and when I start to carry them out, may God have mercy on Bobby Lee, for I shall have none."
    General 'Fighting' Joe Hooker

Default Pickett's Charge

Marc,
    I have invited the SS to come participate with the 3rd USV for Pickett's Charge. We will be portraying the 14th CT, who was partially armed with Sharp's Rifles. Their left was anchored of the "Angle" to the right of the 71st PA. It was likely a soldier from this regiment who shot Armistead.
    The only rub for this would be that you'd have to bring a standard Federal kit. Forage cap, Sack and Sky blue trousers. Most SS have this impression already. It will get you guys into the scenario and your rifles will add to the impression. We will be supplying the Second Corps, Third Division badges.
    We will likely have twice the number in our regiment than the 14th had during the actual battle. Thus, we will be in four ranks and rotate guys to the front.

Scot Buffington
    3rd USV

Sounds good. Also just FYI I am Marcus, Marc was my father. Dont know if you knew him or not. Anyways. I have my full Bedan's Greens, and I also have Full 1st Sgt blues and Capt Blues. But that sounds like it will work for me, thank you!!
    1st Sergt 2nd USSS Co. C
    "My plans are perfect, and when I start to carry them out, may God have mercy on Bobby Lee, for I shall have none."

Major Buffington,

There were two other Sharpshooter companies involved in the fighting on the far right flank of Cemetery Ridge on July 3rd. Second Company, Andrews Sharpshooters under the command of Lt. Luke Bicknell, who-under orders by Gen. Hayes-collected scattered infantry and sharpshooters to join the 8th Ohio and enfilade the CSA attack near the Bryan Farm/Ziegler's Grove (see The Sharpshooters by Luke Emerson Bicknell). The First Company, Andrews SS was posted with Weidrich's battery dueling with Major Blackford's Alabama Sharpshooters in town.

The Second SS formation was Company 'L' 1st Minnesota (formerly Company 'L' 1st U.S. Sharpshooters). They were detached to protect (4?) U.S. artillery battery on the right flank near Ziegler's Grove and so missed the bloodletting of the 1st MN vs Wilcox's brigade. Lt. Burger wrote his account of the companies service that can be found in Minnesota in the Civil and Indian Wars. A more complete account of his company's actions at the Bliss Farm on July 3 can be found in the MN Archives in St. Paul. They endured the bombardment and assualt but suffered few casualties because Burger had the presence of mind to erect breastworks of stone and fence rails to protect his men. During the Pickett-Tremble assault, some MN SS ran out of the 60 rds of ammunition and picked up muskets from fallen infantry.

Both company's were outfitted with Berdan Contract NM 1859 Sharps rifles (30 inch barrel, 800 yrd Lawrence sights, angular bayonets); but were wearing standard infantry dress and accoutrements at Gburg.

If you see fit Major, I am sure a number of Sharpshooters would be honored to fall in under your command so long as we can honor the memory of the MN and MA Sharpshooters whose duty on July 3rd has been largely forgotten; except by a few of us 'hardbitten' cusses.

Bill Skillman
    Bugler-Hudson Squad-USSS
    Last edited by NM1859; 05-10-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: historical edit

Very well wrote Bill!!!!
    1st Sergt 2nd USSS Co. C