Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fugawee Brogans

Default Fugawee Brogans

I'm looking for a pair of brogans and was wondering...of you folks that own a pair of these, do you like them? Would you buy another set of these or would you buy a different pair?

They are better than some, not as good as others.
    Try Missouri Boot and Shoe
    http://http://missouribootandshoe.tripod.com/
    Or Robert Land
    http://http://www.robertlandhistoric...let/StoreFront
    Footwear is one place where you don't want to skimp and save. If your feet are miserable, you will be miserable.

Also Mattimore Harness:

http://www.civilwarboots.com/

The other place you don't want to skimp is on everything else.
    Garrett Silliman
    Black Republicans

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Wilson View Post
    I'm looking for a pair of brogans and was wondering...of you folks that own a pair of these, do you like them? Would you buy another set of these or would you buy a different pair?
    Funny how nobody is willing to answer your specific question, but start throwing out alternatives, offering NO opinion of WHY they do or do not like Fugawee brogans. But I will:

I own and wear Fugawees exclusively for a very good reason: they DO NOT hurt my feet. The only brogan I've ever owned that has not hurt my feet and I've owned over ten pairs over a 20 year period, most of them I had to sell off because they hurt my feet. I can't wear the perfect super-authentic incredibly expensive brogans that the hardkewls tout becasue they always hurt my feet. Fugawees never have. Nice soft uppers. Good fit. If you like feet that don't hurt, then Fugawee it.
    - Ernesto Serna

"...I'm struck by the contradiction at the core of Civil War reenacting. On the surface it's a hyper-macho hobby, focused on guns and battle. But the longer I hang out with hardcores ... the more they remind me of supermodels, chatting endlessly about their jackets and shoes and hair and how many pounds they've lost since the last event." - Tony Horwitz

In the same vain as Che's answer, I also wear Fugawee's for the same reason. I also have shoes from several of the same vendors mentioned above, and they vary in comfort from very to extremely not. I prefer MB&S and my old Jim Lammers for the high quality events I attend, but I have no problem with the Fug's at local events and at my work site. Fugawee is widely viewed as a less authentic version of the others, however when comparing images, you'll find originals in roughly the same shape. The main reason why Fugawee may be looked down upon is in the construction techniques - the thread, stitching, and placement is different than most originals. If you're looking for high authenticity, look at the other mentioned vendors. If you're looking for a shoe that wears well, is a value for the dollar, and is widely available, the Fugawees will work well for you.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

I won't say anything negative about Fugawee per se. I've never owned a pair. But if you closely compare a photo of them to originals or better makers repros, you'll have to see the difference. And you have to listen to what people who might know more have to say. Unless you have really bad feet, a maker like Serio(MB&S) can custom make you a pair that will work for you. I have a pair of Land Fed brogans, Mattimore Harness shoes, MB&S and Mick Messiem(MJN) boots, and have had a pair of Cedar Creek(Lammers) brogans(and lots of others I care not to mention) in the past. I'd say all of the afore mentioned beat Fugawee as far a being authentically made. But I don't claim to be an expert. And contrary to what some say, probably starting with Land and going up in price, they really aren't THAT much more expensive. But hey, this isn't the AC. But if you you want to see what was said many years ago over there on the AC about Fugawees, have at it.....

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...hlight=Fugawee

If comfort and affordability in a solidly built pair of shoes are your goals, Fugawee will suit you. Well made shoes for those purposes. "Higher end mainstream shoes" I've heard them called. But beware of having to throw good money after bad in the future. We've all done it. Just depends on what you're looking for.

My 2 cents, usually worth far less...

D.W. Scalf

I would at least talk with Robert at MB&S before making a final decision. He is good to work with and can advise you if you have any special needs.

Joe Musgrove
    "I fight for Uncle Abe"

It's also funny how people naturally assume things. Let it be known I have nothing ill to say about Fugawee brand foot wear. I have owned them in the past. They never hurt my feet and lasted quite sometime. I am merely saying there are more, and in MY opinion, better options available. Didn't mean to dis anyone's "favorite brand". If you don't care about being "hard kewl" as one gentleman above so eloquently espoused, John Varvatos makes a chukka that's "close enough".
    Last edited by boucher42; 03-30-2013 at 01:14 PM.

I will also jump on the Fugawee band wagon. My first pair wore out after a dozen years. My wife got me a new pair last year for Christmas. OPPS wrong size length ok width to narrow, no problem sent them back and they sent a different pair only cost was my mail charge back there for the wrong size. These buggers fit like a comfortable glove. I have very tender feet, and my shoes must be just so. Next pair Yep another Fugawee pair.
    Cris Westphal
    Civil War Reenactor