Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port Columbus Naval Gear & Items

Question Port Columbus Naval Gear & Items

Most of my Confederate naval uniforms and gear has been purchased from the Port Columbus Naval Museum. They are a great vendor for service and are fast shippers.

I have their gray and white 13 botton pants, gray and white frocks, gray flat hat with white summer cover, neckerchief, pistol cartridge box, cap box, and holster.

On order from Blockade Runner is a Sailor's Straw Hat, for summer use here down south.

I also have black tarred haversack and a roll buckle belt for pistol gear plus a naval style belt for a boarding cutlass I plan to order in the future.

http://portcolumbus.org/products-pag...uniforms-gear/

Suggestions as to uniform and gear that I could add in the future to upgrade my CSN kit?

Thanks~
    Last edited by Quarter Gunner Bohlman; 03-24-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: add item
    I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Quarter Gunner & Apprentice Sailmaker, R. Bohlman, CSN
    late of the C.S.S. Ram Arkansas,
    now attached to the CS Naval Station
    Jackson, Mississippi

Member USNLP
    http://www.usnlp.org/

Soldiers Rest Cemetery, Vicksburg, MS
    Aide-toi et Dieu t'aidera

Member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans
    Camp # 265, Rankin County Rough and Ready’s
    http://www.scv265.com/

Petty Officer Bohlman,
    What are you planning to do in your portrayal? The pistol and cutlass went ashore with some of the howitzer crews but aside from a few cutting out parties, i.e the USS/CSS Water Witch there wasn't that much need for them. What cutlass are you getting? The 1860/61 naval cutlass wouldn't have been readily available for southern river sailors or really anywhere else. The union river fleet when it was the Western Gunboat Flotilla had been issued hundreds of the army's 1832 short artillery swords. The confederate navy had their short sword knockoff. There might have been a few of the old 1841 cutlasses issued.
    If you plan on joining forces at reenactments you're much better off with a rifle/musket. In the ranks a 1853 enfield would do. Check with the units you want to hook up with and go with what they suggest. Navy firearms were many but alas many reenactment groups won't allow them in the ranks. If you are doing school displays then your "museum" can carry as much as you care to pack lol. As a quarter gunner look at what would be in the ready boxes etc.

Geo. Dailey
    USNLP (western waters)
    Battery D 1st Michigan/9th Georgia light artillery

Geo

Thanks for the great information.

I do mostly SCV demos and display type events as a well dressed (mostly overdressed) CS sailor.

Planning on the Confederate knockoff short style sword in the future.
    I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Quarter Gunner & Apprentice Sailmaker, R. Bohlman, CSN
    late of the C.S.S. Ram Arkansas,
    now attached to the CS Naval Station
    Jackson, Mississippi

Member USNLP
    http://www.usnlp.org/

Soldiers Rest Cemetery, Vicksburg, MS
    Aide-toi et Dieu t'aidera

Member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans
    Camp # 265, Rankin County Rough and Ready’s
    http://www.scv265.com/

Thought alot of the questions were answered before.....
    Bobby Hughes
    Co A, 2nd Battalion Ga Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Vol Infantry "Yates' Sharpshooters"
    Savannah Republican Blues
    Co C, 3rd US Infantry
    Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum & William Scarbrough House, Savannah, GA

"I hope to live long enough to see my surviving comrades march side by side with the Union veterans along Pennsylvania Avenue, and then I will die happy." - James Longstreet at a Memorial Day Parade in 1902.

Bobby Hughes
    Co A, 2nd Battalion Ga Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Vol Infantry "Yates' Sharpshooters"
    Co C, 3rd US Infantry

"I hope to live long enough to see my surviving comrades march side by side with the Union veterans along Pennsylvania Avenue, and then I will die happy." - James Longstreet at a Memorial Day Parade in 1902.

I don't know much about Civil War Navy personas, but I am interested in 18th and early 19th C sea faring. This is a pic of my ditty bag and tools. These tools are easy to make and a few places have them for purchase too. Assuming you're persona is on a ship with sails, you would need these items.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Wilson View Post
    I don't know much about Civil War Navy personas, but I am interested in 18th and early 19th C sea faring. This is a pic of my ditty bag and tools. These tools are easy to make and a few places have them for purchase too. Assuming you're persona is on a ship with sails, you would need these items.

Comes down to time and place on that fixed blade knife.... they were not permitted aboard ships of the Confederate Navy, according to Article 43 of the Regulations for the Navy of the Confederate States, 1862:

ARTICLE 43. Sheath-knives forbidden.
    The use of sheath-knives on board ship is strictly forbidden. Jack-knives shall be worn with lanyards and in fobs.
    Something like this would be closer to correct.....not sure about the anchor motif, but this would be more in keeping with the spirit of the regulation...
    Last edited by GaWildcat; 04-05-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    Bobby Hughes
    Co C, 3rd US Infantry

Very interesting! Do we know why they were forbidden?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Wilson View Post
    Very interesting! Do we know why they were forbidden?
    Yes, by and large it was to keep them from being used as weapons in fights and scraps. Most of the time when they needed a knife for work on board, they were signed in and out by the master at arms or by the watch officers or petty officers
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ross L. Lamoreaux View Post
    Yes, by and large it was to keep them from being used as weapons in fights and scraps. Most of the time when they needed a knife for work on board, they were signed in and out by the master at arms or by the watch officers or petty officers
    Ross, as usual, is absolutely spot on... further, if not secured by a lanyard, and if they had a point, if dropped from aloft, well..................lets just say I wouldnt want to be on the Spar deck if A.S. Dimwitt dropped his pointy knife accidentally....
    Bobby Hughes
    Co C, 3rd US Infantry