Thread: Reenactment Swap Meet ??

Default Reenactment Swap Meet ??

Not sure if this is the appropiate venue for this question.

Has anyone seen a swap meet at any reenactment.
    Trying to add another facet to our local reenactment and wondering if this would be a good thing. Would the attending sutlers have any real objections. This would be a limited function no more than two hours time limit.
    Battle of Temple Junction 05/17-18-19 www.scvtemple.com

Comments appreciated
    Tom Hughes
    Honorary Historian
    210th P. V. I.
    5 Corp 2nd Div 3rd Brig
    Petersburg Campaign

WWI events always have a swap meet before in the parking lot. Problem you will find at a ACW event is that sutlers pay substantial fees to sell their wares so I don't think coordinators or sutlers would be too fond of allowing swap meets.

At some of our smaller events, here in Michigan there are minimal sutlers. So there is a swap meet every once in a while. Or what you can do is have blanket sales outside your tent or camp area. I picked up a nice cup and boiler for a few bucks that way. A buddy picked up a yankee sack coat for 20 bucks for when our unit galvanizes- not a perfect fit or high quality but it wokrs on that rare occaison when it's needed./
    Cris Westphal
    Civil War Reenactor

Reenacting is one of those hobbys where your vendors are mainly small companies or one man/woman operations. So, you would not want a swap meet to deter or overshadow the vendors.

A lot of hobbys will have organized swap meets before or after an event.

Joe Musgrove
    "I fight for Uncle Abe"

A much better time to do this is at your Camp of Instruction---especially if you consolidate with other units.

This puts you in a venue without the time pressure of a battle, and one where regular vendors are not present.

Our sutlers take some great risks in dragging their inventory through muddy hayfields--let's not intentionally cut into their business.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Thank you for your input.
    I like the blanket sale idea, but overall I think I will let this issue drop.
    Tom in Temple TX

Fire-Truck

Something I've done at Pow-Wow's in the evening is have a Blanket Trade. It's a lot of fun plus a chance to get to know other reenactors. Everyone has something to Trade, plus no money is involved. Just a thought.

Always

Doug Thomas
    Lyons-Kentucky CS
    Holding on the High ground

At our last event this past weekend, we had a reenactor swap meet. It was only an hour long on the first day, from 9am-10am. The big Sutlers were plenty busy regardless.
    This particular one was very small, maybe 10 tables, but still, it was nice to see and a chance for reenactors to sell and swap their used wares and other stuff you don't find at sutler row.
    Last edited by Goex; 04-09-2013 at 04:04 AM.
    Pvt. J.D.
    69th NYSV Co.C
    1st Reg't. Irish Brigade
    2nd Battalion

"Faugh a Ballagh!"