Thread: help appreciated

Default help appreciated

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I am posting to see if anybody can help me with some information concerning enlisted men being breveted 2nd Lt. I am rrently deployed and upon my return to the states would like to start doing an exact impression of my ancestor 1SG John P Thompson of the 101st Indiana Infantry who was breveted 2nd LT, yet mustered out as a 1SG. My question is, if the soldier was breveted, was he issued the uniform of the breveted rank. I have the upmost respect for my ancestor, and appreciate all information leading to an accurate and respectful portrayal of him. Thank you kindly.

As I understand brevets, they were used 2 ways: 1) as an award, like a commendation and 2) to temporarily fill vacant ranks. If the latter case with your ancestor, it would be helpful to know when and where he was brevetted. For instance, if it came in the middle of the March to the Sea, supply being what it was, it might have been difficult to procure much of an officer's kit. It may have only been for a brief period of time, "mission specific," say a few weeks the company was without officers, or operating detatched from the regiment. At the end of the term of service, the brevetted officer returns to the last commissioned or appointed rank. In his case, sergeant was the last rank to which he was legally promoted. I have a hunch that they liked to see an officer in charge of soldiers rather than a non-commissioned officer, and would appoint one in situations where today an NCO would be considered more than sufficient.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Officers weren't issued anything.

I've seen accounts of newly appointed or elected officers being gifted old rank insignia from superiors and such small items until they are able to procure their own new outfit.

I think more information on the brevet promotion would better inform your impression.
    Mint Julep

A Proud 5%'er

A Dead Whale or A Stove Boat!

I thank you both kindly for the information. I unfortunatley dont have as much info as I would like but it seems we seldom do. All of the rosters i find have him listed as the first Sergeant of G company 101st Indiana, and then as a 2nd Lieutenant in the same Regt. He mustered out as a First Sergeant. It made sense because it showed that he was breveted shortly after a first lieutenant was captured and sent to andersonville. Ill just continue to research and hope i find more.

You know, I took that as a given and didn't mention that officers had to purchase their own stuff. I think time and place might suggest how he looked whilst performing his brevet duties. (He might have ended up looking like a "reenactor's nightmare" with NCO stripes on his trousers (or no stripe at all!), and a fatigue blouse with rank on the collar of shoulders. You know, the guy you look at and say "Who is this clown?")
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Hallo!

May be a given, or obvious...

Have you already secured what Pereiod records may be in NARA or Indiana state records for him that might shed light not only on his service but also on his brevet?

Curt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

Not a real Civil War reenactor, I only portray one on boards and fora.
    I do not portray a Civil War soldier, I merely interpret one.

Yes sir I did, the regimental book only tells me that he was made a 2nd lt shorty after another officer was captured. He started the war as a first sgt, and mustered out as a first sgt. But the book shows him inboth positions.

Quote Originally Posted by malbone View Post
    Yes sir I did, the regimental book only tells me that he was made a 2nd lt shorty after another officer was captured. He started the war as a first sgt, and mustered out as a first sgt. But the book shows him inboth positions.
    Does the book allow for any reasonable speculation as to how long he held the brevet? It is possible that he held it only long enough for a new Lt. to be supplied to the unit.
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B