Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: French rifles at Vicksburg

The link to the book on the 1st Mo. Bgde made this thread very worth reading. I'd seen the book before, but it's been a while since I'd read it. (Hint, get a google nexus 7 as a reading device for reading google books and pdf's on archive.org. I love mine.) Nice to catch another Vicksburg read from a participant now that we are weeks away from the living history at the park which commemorates the 150th of Vicksburg.
    - Silas Tackitt

"I consider him a humbug, a man of small capacity, very obstinate, not at all chivalrous, exceedingly conceited, and totally selfish." - - Lafayette McLaws about James Longstreet.

Thanks again for the replies, and also for taking it easy on me, the "new-guy", for my bungle. I am more than a little embarrassed by it I assure you.

I stumbled on a copy of Anderson's book here at our local library, the second edition annotated by Bearss. Amazing!!! I found a few copies for sale but don't have the coin to plunk down for one right now, still need to get my harness for the infantry to go with my new Enfield. Work has been slow and replacing my gear expensive.

See ya'll in the field!

Bushwhacker

Since you seem to be interested in the Missouri Brigade (and why wouldn't anyone not be?) are you aware that a number of us will be doing a portrayal of the 1st/4th MO at the upcoming Vicksburg living history in May? If you are interested, contact me and I can give you the details.
    Michael Comer

" French rifles were always in high demand in the European gun trade because being militarily disaster prone, the French soldier had usually only fired once before the rifle was dropped. I have used that one before, sorry, couldn't resist. "

The 1.4 million French casualties fron WW1 are no doubt rolling in their graves laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by johnduffer View Post
    The 1.4 million French casualties fron WW1 are no doubt rolling in their graves laughing.
    Not to mention that during our civil war, the French army was considered one of the best armies in the whole world.

Quote Originally Posted by huntdaw View Post
    Since you seem to be interested in the Missouri Brigade (and why wouldn't anyone not be?) are you aware that a number of us will be doing a portrayal of the 1st/4th MO at the upcoming Vicksburg living history in May? If you are interested, contact me and I can give you the details.
    I am just getting back into this venue and I was not aware at all. I have sent you a PM for details in case I am able to be a part of this historic event. Thank you!

Bushwhacker

I have not seen a PM from you but have sent you one that has links to information about the event and the Missouri impression.
    Michael Comer

Quote Originally Posted by huntdaw View Post
    I have not seen a PM from you but have sent you one that has links to information about the event and the Missouri impression.
    Your inbox is full, and I don't see the PM from you. Very interested in this as the MCWRA has a very light schedule this year and I wanna play!!!

Thanks...

Bushwhacker
    http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h8...clothes007.jpg

Bushwhacker
    Pvt.;10th Mo. Infantry/Artillery CSA

Sent you another PM. I cleaned out the inbox a while back so don't know why it wouldn't let you send one, but I did a little more housekeeping on it so it should be ready to receive.
    Michael Comer

...and if the Confederacy would have fought it out just three more months, an alliance would have been sealed with france and they'd have been supporting each other, CSA helping France in Mexico, and France helping CSA with blockades and troops/materiel/etc. I have often considered if this would have been enough to turn the tide at that late hour, or if the south was already too weak for it to have made any difference. Makes good brain food for cold snowy days.

Bushwhacker
    http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h8...clothes007.jpg

Bushwhacker
    Pvt.;10th Mo. Infantry/Artillery CSA