Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: amunation box

Thanks A.J. I appreciate the information. Can't wait to get a copy of Vol. 2.
    Kurt Riedel
    2nd Mass. Cavalry, Co. A
    California Hundred

Great, great grandson of
    Pvt. John Murdock
    4th Pennsylvania Cavalry, Co. G
    M.I. Oct. 21, 1861
    M.O. Oct. 20, 1864

Something else to keep in mind. The original ammo boxes were made from lumber that was planed on the outside only and was closer to 7/8" thick, rather than the modern 3/4" S4S lumber that's available from lumber yards today. If you want to make a box that's close to the original exterior dimensions, you need to add about a 1/4" to all measurements.
    Bill Rodman, If you need a really bad example.
    King of Prussia, PA
    wrodman1@aol.com

Wouldn't the interior dims be the most critical as these were meant to hold rounds in a tightly packaged manner? Just asking.

Which is why the manuals give interior dimensions rather than exterior, wood might vary in thickness so to hold the ammo right you have to have the inside of the box right and the outside ends up being whatever it ends up.
    Boyd Miles

I dream of a world where a chicken can cross a road without having its motives called into question.

BTW it is ammunition...box

Christopher & Boyd,

You are both correct. To properly pack 100 ammunition packs in a box, the interior measurements are what's important. But, we don't live in a perfect world. Unless you can get your hands on one inch thick rough pine lumber and plane it yourself, the exterior will be too small, as compaired to the originals. As Curt says, I guess it depends on your mental picture of what's more correct.

In the past, I've made .69 caliber ammunition boxes using measurements from an original box. I used the exterior dimensions, because that just seemed more "right" to me!

Other people's mileage will vary!
    Bill Rodman, If you need a really bad example.
    King of Prussia, PA
    wrodman1@aol.com

If you need roughly 1 inch thick wood, find a true lumber yard in your area, one that sells hardwood, not the home center selling shelving pine. See if they carry 5/4 pine, which is rough cut at 1 1/4 inches and planed down, giving you a board a hair over 1 inch. It can be pricey, but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowfoot View Post
    If you need roughly 1 inch thick wood, find a true lumber yard in your area, one that sells hardwood, not the home center selling shelving pine. See if they carry 5/4 pine, which is rough cut at 1 1/4 inches and planed down, giving you a board a hair over 1 inch. It can be pricey, but worth it.
    Or some type of saw mill operation. Lots of these in eastern Kentucky.
    Fritz Jacobs
    CPT, QM, USAR (Ret)
    VP Kentucky Soldiers Aide Society
    CPTFritz@aol.com

you can find 4/4 pine at many Home Depot or Lowes...

Quote Originally Posted by TheQM View Post
    Christopher & Boyd,

You are both correct. To properly pack 100 ammunition packs in a box, the interior measurements are what's important. But, we don't live in a perfect world. Unless you can get your hands on one inch thick rough pine lumber and plane it yourself, the exterior will be too small, as compaired to the originals. As Curt says, I guess it depends on your mental picture of what's more correct.

In the past, I've made .69 caliber ammunition boxes using measurements from an original box. I used the exterior dimensions, because that just seemed more "right" to me!

Other people's mileage will vary!
    For re-enacting I agree with you on the outside would be the more important, I think the info was a warning to not go by the given dimensions to make the box as it would end up much too small if you thought it was the outside. The manual gives the important for actual use internal not the unimportant to them external. For a reproduction a re-enactor needs to use what was unimportant in the period, the external. Another thing to think of if you are using the boxes for resupply during a "battle" is pay attention to the weight, depending on which cartridge a box full runs near or over 100 pounds so it isn't like anybody is going to go running across the field with one in each hand.
    Boyd Miles

I dream of a world where a chicken can cross a road without having its motives called into question.