Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: amunation box

Default amunation box

does aneybody have the spefications for a 58.cal wood amuntion box I have a wood working class for my school and thats what I want to make thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Wood...ar+woodworking

Well above is a link maybe, not the best computer guy. Anyway it should take you to Amazon to a book called Civil War Woodworking, which has 17 woodworking projects related to the Civil War, including an ammunition box. It also has other cool projects such as games, mirrors, benches, hardtack crate, officers desk, etc. However , someone might have some specs they can pos t up for you for free. Good Luck

R/S
    Kyle W. Sanders

Armory Guards
    Pick'in eny Mess

"America has no north, no south, no east, no west. The sun rises over the hills and sets over the mountains, the compass just points up and down, and we can laugh now at the absurd notion of there being a north and a south. We are one and undivided." -Sam Watkins-1st Tennessee

thanks I will probably order that tonight!

Your welcome, and again if you want to save some money wait till some more people see your post. Guys will help you and and share their knowledge or when you find some specs for whichever ammunition box you decide on and get a good original picture I'm sure you could come up with a good reproduction. Oh and make sure you read the forums rules, you need to post your name after post

R/S

Moderator Note: different forums have different rules. This one does not require signatures.
    Last edited by Provost-ADC; 03-14-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Kyle W. Sanders

Armory Guards
    Pick'in eny Mess

"America has no north, no south, no east, no west. The sun rises over the hills and sets over the mountains, the compass just points up and down, and we can laugh now at the absurd notion of there being a north and a south. We are one and undivided." -Sam Watkins-1st Tennessee

Hallo!

Ammunition packing box...

I do.

PM sent.

Curt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

Not a real Civil War reenactor, I only portray one on boards and fora.
    I do not portray a Civil War soldier, I merely interpret one.

Highly recommend Mr Hammler's book. He has a vol 2 coming out soon as well

I also have Mr. Hamler's book and have found it a great resource. A terrfic book. Christopher, do you happen to know when Vol. 2 will be out ? Thanks.
    Kurt Riedel
    2nd Mass. Cavalry, Co. A
    California Hundred

Great, great grandson of
    Pvt. John Murdock
    4th Pennsylvania Cavalry, Co. G
    M.I. Oct. 21, 1861
    M.O. Oct. 20, 1864

Haha , Now who needs to read the rules. Sorry Mods, my apologies. Just when I was trying to help, I go and look like a fool. My apologies, to much time on the AC.

R/S
    Kyle W. Sanders

Armory Guards
    Pick'in eny Mess

Jimmy
    .. Are you seeking to make any one particular example or just a generic ammunition box?. The respective Ordnance Regs can provide a general guide but remember that the measurements given are interior box measurements not exterior, so you have to make adjustments depending on the thickness of the wood you use. Also what was actually produced and issued from the respective arsenals/armory, many times differ greatly from each other also from what the Regs call for in construction methods, size, color and markings. These also can differ depending on period of the war and which depot in question. One size/type usually doesnt fit all applications. Much of it depends on how detailed and authentic you want to go with it.
    Lieut Frederick Sineth
    14th Virginia Infantry Regt Co.I
    - 106th Penna Vol Co.F

- Pegrams Va Artillery
    - 150th Sailors Creek

Jimmy...

This is a common request and has been discussed before here on the forum. I can never figure out the search function so this link may not be correct, but here's a discussion here that includes the plan drawings: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...r-ammo-crates&

Hopefully, that link will take you there. If not, perhaps some kind forum soul will correct the link for me (and at least give me an "A" for effort at trying to include it. <g>).

Kurt -- Volume II is complete and should be out late this summer or early fall if I understand the publication schedule correctly. Here's what the cover will look like:

The current book (guess I should start calling it Volume I now, I suppose) is sold out on Amazon. That's a good-news-bad-news thing for us writers. On the one hand I'm thrilled that it's doing so well that even Amazon is sold out. On the other hand, anyone looking for it on Amazon won't be able to get it. (It is for sale and in-stock elsewhere, though. A Google search should turn it up.) I've been talking to the publisher this week as it happens, and Volume I is going into its third reprint.

To echo what some others have said, there is a chart in the Ordnance Manual(s) with the dimensions, description and color of every type of ammo box. However, keep in mind that the dimensions given are INTERIOR dimensions. A number of sutlers have gotten that wrong. Just FYI.

A.J.