Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warrant for Arrest?

You might be able to find a copy of Benet's "Treatise on Military Law" (1862) -- I downloaded it once but can't seem to find a url now. There's also Kautz's COS for officers, which has a lot on court martial proceedings. The two volumes of General Orders of the War Department covering '61-'63 have examples of reports on significant courts martial.

All of that will give you a lot to work with, but you may be trying to do too much with one form. For example, the "arrest warrant" may in this case may be one special order, with another for setting the time and place of the trial, which in turn will require you to draw up and present the accused with charges and specifications.
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

Thanks Michael. I'll try and dig up Benet and Kautz.
    Mel Glover
    -GG grandson of Cpl Christian Greener, 1st Wisconsin Cavalry, Co. F

-Rob Weaver is my guru:
    -"...one of the characteristics of a good reenactor is the willingness to not be bulletproof."
    -"Be more concerned with your own impression than with anyone else's."

Default careful

If you are planning a military execution, please keep in mind that this was not done at a battalion level with a campaigning army in the filed. This would have been done at a much higher level, would require the Presidents signature and done at some garrison location with a full Provost. Nothing is sillier or hokier than a mock trial and execution done at a reenactment that is portraying soldiers on campaign at nothing larger than a battalion.

Jim Butler

There will be NO execution.
    Mel Glover
    -GG grandson of Cpl Christian Greener, 1st Wisconsin Cavalry, Co. F

-Rob Weaver is my guru:
    -"...one of the characteristics of a good reenactor is the willingness to not be bulletproof."
    -"Be more concerned with your own impression than with anyone else's."

There is a book I read recently; Recollections of a Maryland Confederate Soldier, McHenry Howard, and he was a Staff Officer for different commands. He describes the process of how the execution orders were sent down from Richmond after the charges/offences were reported up the chain of command, and then carried out. I regret that I don't remeber the page numbers, but it is in there in some detail. Hope this helps some.

Bushwhacker