Thread: Banjo

Hybrid View

Default Banjo

I am considering taking up playing a period banjo. I have seen period one and would like any advise on who makes a good one, and how hard are they to learn?

Go here. http://minstrel banjo.ning.com. More info than you probably want, but all you need is located there.

I've seen this fellow at reenactments. He makes and sells minstrel banjos, instruction books, etc.

http://www.gardnersdulcimer.com/Page.aspx?id=146

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickstep
    I've seen this fellow at reenactments. He makes and sells minstrel banjos, instruction books, etc.

http://www.gardnersdulcimer.com/Page.aspx?id=146
    I'd pass on this one. Per his own webpage :

Our STANDARD MINSTREL BANJO comes with a laminated 12” poplar pot with your choice of Cherry or Black Walnut veneer on the outside. The neck is made of solid Cherry or Black Walnut. It comes with Remo 12” Fiberskyn head and Nylgut Minstrel strings.
    Laminated poplar doesn't scream authentic to me, but lamination did exist back then. However, plastic head and plastic strings do not pass muster. Go to Tim Twiss' Minstrel Banjo (ning) forum. Several manufacturers hang there because buyers can be found there.

Regarding poplar as a wood choice, I once spoke to a banjo manufacturer who once made a banjo entirely out of poplar because the wood was cheap and readily available. Took it to one event. He was so displeased with it, he burned it. The entirely poplar banjo was too soft and absorbed all the vibration from the strings.
    - Silas Tackitt

"I consider him a humbug, a man of small capacity, very obstinate, not at all chivalrous, exceedingly conceited, and totally selfish." - - Lafayette McLaws about James Longstreet.

Quote Originally Posted by Silas View Post
    I'd pass on this one. Per his own webpage :

Laminated poplar doesn't scream authentic to me, but lamination did exist back then. However, plastic head and plastic strings do not pass muster. Go to Tim Twiss' Minstrel Banjo (ning) forum. Several manufacturers hang there because buyers can be found there.

Regarding poplar as a wood choice, I once spoke to a banjo manufacturer who once made a banjo entirely out of poplar because the wood was cheap and readily available. Took it to one event. He was so displeased with it, he burned it. The entirely poplar banjo was too soft and absorbed all the vibration from the strings.
    Not being a banjo player, I wouldn’t know about the authenticity of his instruments to that level of detail--I just wish people would stop bringing modern banjos to events. I’d be interested to hear from some banjo players on this, especially concerning the strings.

Thanks guys for all the info. Cant wait to get one and start getting lessons
    I bought a fife years ago and just cant play it.
    1st Sergt 2nd USSS Co. C
    "My plans are perfect, and when I start to carry them out, may God have mercy on Bobby Lee, for I shall have none."
    General 'Fighting' Joe Hooker

Quote Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
    Not being a banjo player, I wouldn’t know about the authenticity of his instruments to that level of detail--I just wish people would stop bringing modern banjos to events. I’d be interested to hear from some banjo players on this, especially concerning the strings.
    I agree with Silas on the makers link posted above.

Default Or, it could be ok

Moderator note---a long 'first post' was here. Moderators read and approve posts without regard to our agreement with the content. It normally takes awhile to do a bit of research when one rings a bell.

This one did. And the message has been deleted with the exception of the signature. This is either the fourth or the fifth time this user has been removed since his original banning.

DJ_Artillery
    Last edited by Provost-ADC; 03-27-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Long Memory.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Artillery View Post

DJ_Artillery

Banjo Danny,

You're still banned here.
    Provost Aide de Camp

»Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry." >Mark Twain