View Poll Results: Would you be interested in walking to Gettysburg in June/July?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would

7 46.67%
  • No, but the history is fascinating.

7 46.67%
  • Let me think about this and get back to you.

1 6.67%

Thread: Sixth Corps to Gettysburg - 2013 edition

Hybrid View

Exclamation Sixth Corps to Gettysburg - 2013 edition

Here's the deal.

Dave's had to bow out of running the show due to work scheduling problems, and from what I hear there's no one able to fill his shoes. I don't have the time to run a big march this year, unfortunately, so I'm considering my options. I'd appreciate hearing from folks here on the following:

At this point I'd like to go for a walk, on the historical route and the historical dates, you can read the details of the 2008 march here:

http://www.dougdobbs.com/cwr/6c2g-2008/index.htm

If some friends want to tag along, I'd be happy for the company. If we keep the group size to around 12 or so the logistics are easy to manage, and the problems with law enforcement for road use permits, etc. are negligible.

I'd like to keep it to a "cafeteria style" arrangement, come for an hour, come for a week. I see this more as public education and commemorating heroes, not so much having a "period moment." Trust me, after the first few miles in a wool suit in June you get all the authenticity you can handle. Many of you know exactly what I mean.

Health and safety always trump other considerations. I'm not a medical expert but my judgement on that will be final and I tend to err on the side of caution.

It's hard, but it's doable to participate if you're in reasonably good health. Start walking now to prepare for this, but don't come expecting to prove your manhood. The original march broke the health of good men, and we all have to go back to work when this is over. But if you want to tag along, drop me a note here or contact me on Facebook or email, if you know it. Google my name and you should find me pretty easy.

I'll be revising my site's page and the links there in the next week or so. We'll probably ask folks to kick in for gas, food, water, etc. to help defray expenses, but I don't foresee those being exorbitantly high. My old beater pick up truck doesn't get good mileage, but then, it won't have far to go most days. For a truck. And my wife's volunteered to pilot it around and be our water angel.

There's lots I haven't mentioned, but I know the collective wisdom here will prove useful in planning. I appreciate all helpful suggestions. Lots of folks think I'm an idiot, so there's no need to remind me of that. Some days I probably would agree with 'em.

For Union and Liberty,

Doug
    aka Stickbug
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI
    encamped near Hagerstown, Md.

Incidentally, in the past we've been the objects of a lot of civilian kindness to tired soldiers. If you've a civilian impression and would like to interact with our little band as we move along, we're not closed to those sort of encounters.

Oh, and if anyone knows of CWRT's or other historical groups along our route that might be interested, we'd be happy to pause a bit along the way to talk with folks.

Thanks!

D.
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI

Just to remind folks that this event is a go still. I've been contacted by a few folks asking if it is. Contact me in email if you have questions. Address is on the site.
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI

Doug,
    I don't know if I'll be able to make the whole march again, but I'm going to try Thanks for stepping up and organizing the march.
    Yer pard,
    Joe

The time is counting down to our step off. If you have a desire to join us for any part of this effort, please contact me asap. I will have room for a few folks who'd like to park their car at my place and ride down to Ox Hill with us on the night of the 25th.
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI

I've just managed to update my web pages for the march. Stop by and check it out. If you see any broken links or other problems, please let me know.

www.dougdobbs.com

Thanks!
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI

I just learned tonight that my wife's family is related to the Sheaffer family, whose farm was the hospital where Dan Sickles leg was amputated. What's really cool is that we'll be marching right past the front door.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/becky19...57622803426974
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI

Ok, correction to the message immediately above about the Sheaffer family. Turns out new information says they are related to the Swisher family (who owned the farmhouse where Artillery Ridge Campground now stands) and that Mrs. Swisher was at the Sheaffer farm to assist as a nurse and is said to have helped in Sickles amputation. So the story goes ever on...
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI

I wanted to acknowledge the participation and help of many people in this effort. We started out with Rob Skeel, Joe Bordonaro, Tim Ruyle and myself at Ox Hill Battlefield Park, at about 1AM on Wed. June 26. At the end of the first day we lost Tim to massive blisters. He had a heart and will to go on but the flesh failed him. His company on that first day was wonderful though and I missed him the rest of the trip. Later we picked up Andy Scandal for a few miles as we traveled some of the old road south of Westminster, Md. He also brought us some fresh sweet corn we roasted in the fire that night. Yum! Then the last ten miles or so Bob Mosher joined us and added his special flavor to our company.

All along the way we were helped by generous citizens who gave us water, rest on their lawns, shelter in their barns, etc. We could not have done it without them.

We were also encouraged constantly by those who honked or waved, gave us salutes and thumbs up and cheery smiles. It gave strength to limb and joy to heart to see ordinary citizens who "got it" and encouraged us.

Last but certainly not least is my debt of gratitude to my dear wife, Sal, who drove our chase van and plied us with water, Gatorade, fruit, moleskin, etc. as needed. She was an angel and absolutely essential to the project. While we got to crash out and sleep she'd often face an hour plus drive home, then be up early to be with us as we started out at dawn the next day.

In the week or two ahead I'll put together a fuller account of the expedition and some pictures I just now am able to get off the camera. I doubt I've got another trip left in me and if anyone gets the bug to do something like it I'd like to leave a record that might ease their path a bit. Someone joked that we should do it again in five years on Segways. At the moment it's the only way I could make it, I think.

It almost goes without saying, but I'm going to say this anyway. I began this project ten years ago to call attention to the feats of endurance and the devotion to duty that drove the Sixth Corps to such lengths. Literally. They pushed themselves beyond the limits of human endurance for cause and comrades. After their herculean trip to just get to Gettysburg, many of them swung into combat. Next day they built a rock wall as a defense in case the Rebs broke through at LRT, and endured an artillery bombardment as they watched Pickett's Charge sweep across the fields to their north. That afternoon began something like five days of fairly constant rain. In that rain the 15th NJ rearmed themselves with battlefield pickups of Springfields, then on July 5 began the pursuit of Lee's army. By July 8 the Sixth Corps was pulling into Boonsboro, Md.; another 45 miles in three days. Much of that was at night, in the rain, over narrow, mudded up mountain roads. And the war went on from there. For my great-great grandfather Dow the war only ended in an unmarked grave the next June at Cold Harbor.

If there is any praise, if there is any admiration, if there is any esteem, let it be for these men and the cause for which they fought.

With gratitude for Union and Liberty,

Stickbug
    Last edited by Stickbug; 07-13-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: grammar
    Doug Dobbs
    Co E, 15th NJVI