Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GAC Gettysburg

Default GAC Gettysburg

Thought it was a great event. My perspective is from the Cavalry (Confederate) branch.

Logistics were well done; we never ran out of hay, water or firewood. No matter how crazy a request, we got it.

Scenarios were well done. Both battles on Thursday we did Buford with the second one fought 90 degrees from the morning, N to S vs E to W. We fought long and hard in both with some troops "complaining" with smiles on their faces that they used too many rounds.
    Friday we donned the grey and went head to head re-creating the battle of Hunterstown. We used the rock wall and fence to great use to re-create the terrain for that battle.
    Saturday and Sunday were East Cavalry Field flipped 180 degrees between the days.
    I then got the chance to pick up a 3 bander and make Pickett's Charge. Without coordinating it the entire remaining members of the unit that I fell in with folded to the ground as we took a volley from behind the wall. It seemed awesome from where I was.

Speaking of Awesome: the appreciative crowds and meeting Ms. Lawson.
    Mike Schramm

It was good to meet you as well Mike.

I'll write a more complete report of my various adventures later on. Right now, after 17 days in the field, I'm feeling like that childhood tune 'This is the song that never ends....' I spent most of the GAC event OX sitting, as young Marco and Polo proved to be not quite ready for prime time, and only Mr Barker's two grown oxen went out to pull the water wagon for each battle. I was loaded, showered, and easing on down the road when the call came that Mr Barker's truck had dropped its transmission right there at the site gate. So, I went back to Gettysburg, got the men fed, they got the oxen settled for the night right there at Cav registration, Mr B stayed on stock watch and the rest of us went to a friend's home. Tomorrow will be a brighter day and I will step and fetch while they do something about the truck.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Best Gettysburg Annual I have ever attended. Highly attentive and engaged spectators. Very good logistics. Great battle scenarios. Honestly, there were parts of this event that were better than the 125th all those years ago. I have a new goal in life: I must live at least 25 more years so that I can go to the 175th as John Burns.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Before I say anything, let me first say I had a good time. Our unit did have a few issues. They involved an overzelious safety officer and provost. We had asked for an extra tow pass, which was approved by the command staff, but the provost wouldn't allow it. In fact he got upset about us overriding his athority among other things. We tried to go about things the right way, while others just parked in artillery parking with no passes. Never saw a vehicle towed.

Next was safety officer. On thursdays afternoon battle we shot with no body in shell jackets. No issues were raised. Come saturdays morning battle, we first got hit for our no.2 not wearing gloves. We tossed him gloves and all was good. 2 shots later and they tell us we need jackets or we would be pulled off the line. I understand this was in the safety rules and admit we overlooked it, but why wasn't it adressed on Thursday or when the gloves were brought up? Why was it not an issue thursday? We were under the same major both days. We felt at that point we were being picked on and removed ourself from the battle, which was almost over.

We left after that. I'm sorry but a wool jacket won't save me from the flash if I'm too close. We have been around over 20 years and have a reputation as one of the safest crews in the midwest.

I apoligize for the rant, but most of our crew are older and I won't have them go down from the heat, especially after I was informed of an cs infantry guy who passed on thursday from heat stroke (can anyone confirm)

Overall we still had a great weekend and enjoyed the battles. Had an awesome battery commander as well. We hold no ill feelings twards the cs command and know they did what they felt was right. At the same time we also know they ignored the tunic rule at the 145th due to the heat.

I apoligize to any I may have offened. This was my experiance and doesnt reflect the views of the battery as a whole.

Eddited to add that the porta johns in artillery camp were pumped 2-3 times a day and I am greatful for that.
    Last edited by gambit88; 07-08-2013 at 09:10 AM.
    Bill Hein

Pvt

Bledsoes Missouri battery.

Quote Originally Posted by gambit88 View Post
    Before I say anything, let me first say I had a good time. Our unit did have a few issues. They involved an overzelious safety officer and provost. We had asked for an extra tow pass, which was approved by the command staff, but the provost wouldn't allow it. In fact he got upset about us overriding his athority among other things. We tried to go about things the right way, while others just parked in artillery parking with no passes. Never saw a vehicle towed.
    I believe Ms. Lawson referred to the drivers of those vehicles as "special snowflakes"

Next was safety officer. On thursdays afternoon battle we shot with no body in shell jackets. No issues were raised. Come saturdays morning battle, we first got hit for our no.2 not wearing gloves. We tossed him gloves and all was good. 2 shots later and they tell us we need jackets or we would be pulled off the line. I understand this was in the safety rules and admit we overlooked it, but why wasn't it adressed on Thursday or when the gloves were brought up? Why was it not an issue thursday? We were under the same major both days. We felt at that point we were being picked on and removed ourself from the battle, which was almost over.
    I doubt you were being picked on unless you saw other units without Jackets while you were being singled out. I wasn't there, but here is how I usually see things occur in big events. Soldier X does Y (like hand to hand). Someone higher up says, "thou shall not do Y ever again". The next lower level commander salutes and tells the next level on down and so on. It is possible that the call came down after seeing it on Thursday and then you heard about it the NEXT time you went to the field on Saturday.

especially after I was informed of an cs infantry guy who passed on thursday from heat stroke (can anyone confirm)
    Gotta love those rumors. I was in EVERY command staff meeting and that was never mentioned. Had you stayed you probably would have heard the one that a horse was put down on the field (did NOT happen).

Did you hear? President Obama is coming on Sunday...
    Mike Schramm

Does anyone know the skinny on the medivac saturday afternoon?
    Bob Martin
    Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
    Company A "Chesapeake Rifles"

[QUOTE=wheres_my_horse;221011]I believe Ms. Lawson referred to the drivers of those vehicles as "special snowflakes"

I doubt you were being picked on unless you saw other units without Jackets while you were being singled out. I wasn't there, but here is how I usually see things occur in big events. Soldier X does Y (like hand to hand). Someone higher up says, "thou shall not do Y ever again". The next lower level commander salutes and tells the next level on down and so on. It is possible that the call came down after seeing it on Thursday and then you heard about it the NEXT time you went to the field on Saturday.

Actually they hit us and the gun next in line, but none of the others. I think I was more annoyed that nothing was said when the gloves were brought up amd that was the mid point of the battle. We also didnt have a battery commander for the saturday battle. Luckly our gunner has years battery experience.
    Bill Hein

Pvt

Quote Originally Posted by PrattStreetRioter View Post
    Does anyone know the skinny on the medivac saturday afternoon?
    Dunno if it was a reenactor or spectator but the local news said heart attack
    Bill Hein

Pvt

I am in the car right now on the way back, so I couldn't read all replies, but the only thing that really failed was from the federal camps on the way out on Sun. Some idiot turned his/her car over at the ONLY one road exit out of the paring area and it was 2 hours wait to start getting cars out. The G'Burg people failed miserably in the federal parking lot. They had not one single staffer up there to direct traffic and make sens of everyone trying to come from every direction to get on the exit road. Further they had a rock road that ran between the service buildings that led to a road that ran down behind the lower grandstands that they could have opened to let cars get over to the road the confederate parking was exiting on but instead of making sense and doing that in an emergency situation they actually BLOCKED it OFF. This was an utter failure to lead and a complete lack of common sense. Just because it was a staff access road during the event it never occurred to them to open it in this emergency situation as a secondary access road. So, several thousand cars in the federal area sat for 2 hours waiting for the ONE access, chokepoint road was cleared. Bad, bad, bad planning.

Default Gac gettysburg

From an Artillery standpoint I thought that most of the battles were poorly thought out,all except for Sunday. I mean, how many times can you go into battle, put your guns in a line, and then just sit there and "pound it out?" No movement by the guns, no staggered fomations, no independant batteries. And, before anyone suggests the number of guns were to large for the field, if this were the case why were the number not limited. Granted we made some memories, but no more than we would normally make in an off year reenactment. I guess I was expecting a lot more from 5 years in the planning ... JMHO