Thread: Woolrich blankets

Default Woolrich blankets

I apologize if this was asked before, just couldnt find anything.
    Are the Woolrich blankets historically accurate? I am referring to the ones called the "Gettysburg" or "Fort Sumter" blankets. I have seen old threads of users wishing to sell but no replies so my feeling is that they are not but wanted to ask.

Woolrich blankets are firmly in the upper middle of the period blanket spectrum. They are closer to weight and size than most mainstream fare, but have some issues compared to the upper tier reproductions. Those issues mainly concern the selvedge edges compared to originals, the dyes used, and the amount of modern (i.e. man-made) fibers used in the weaving. Even the best of the repros often have some kind of man-made filler in the wool today, however Woolrich tends to have a little higher amount. In my opinion, the modern fiber content isn't a huge problem in the scheme of things. I'm more concerned with the correct weave, color, and size. Woolrich isn't the most authentic choice, but as I said, it's often considered in the upper middle. You can do better, but at a bigger price, and you can do much worse (often also at a bigger price).
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Default Thank you

Thanks Ross. I've seen many of your responses to other threads on the site and value your opinion.

Scott

Woolrich produced blankets during the Civil War so that advertised fact can be misleading.

The material and construction of their modern Civil War "style" releases are par with "sutler" grade blankets.

S&S out of Gettysburg sales an excellent reproduction made by Family Heirloom Weavers. Unlike sutler grade blankets this one will actually keep you warm!

Joe Musgrove
    "I fight for Uncle Abe"

The amount of manmade fibers in the Woolrich are recognizeable to the discerning hand.

So, if you choose this route, be sure not to choose an event where it may be cold enough that you sleep close to the fire. Manmades melt in such heat, and make a burn far worse.

And, should you be dealing with a cooking accident, and a woman's skirts are on fire, using this blanket to smother that fire will likely add to the problem.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Default Woolrich blanket

I was thinking of buying a Woolrich Emergency Issue Blanket. Thanks for your input Ross. I will look at some others. Do you have any other manufactures that make a more authentic blanket?

I'm going to purchase from S&S, hopefully they will have a supply in stock. If not I will put one on hold, a good blanket is priceless.
    Scott Mecca
    143rd Pennsylvania Inf. Co A
    Union Volunteers