Thread: Green Sibley

Default Green Sibley

I have just recently been given a 12ft tall Sibley. The unusual characteristic is that this is a light green or sea foam green. Has anyone come across one like this? Apparently this is somewhere around 15yrs old.
    Jim Busby

Walton Guards
    Co D 1st Florida Inf
    Co D 7th Vermont Inf
    Co C 3rd US Infantry
    http://www.waltonguards.org

Got a pic? Got me curious
    Bobby Hughes
    Co A, 2nd Battalion Ga Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Vol Infantry "Yates' Sharpshooters"
    Savannah Republican Blues
    Co C, 3rd US Infantry
    Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum & William Scarbrough House, Savannah, GA

"I hope to live long enough to see my surviving comrades march side by side with the Union veterans along Pennsylvania Avenue, and then I will die happy." - James Longstreet at a Memorial Day Parade in 1902.

what color were they when the army was still using them in the early 20th century? Your tent may be older than you think.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

The 19th century Sibleys were all natural cotton duck (and some early ones in hemp linen and hemp duck), but by the 20th century, the US was still using a conical tent very similiar to Sibley's through Korea. I had one in green canvas in the 1970's in Scouts and it was WWII surplus
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Does it appear like it was spray painted? Because movie sets often use CW tents to house production and set equipment. We have an officer's wall tent that was spray painted green and left over from the filming of Get Low at Pickett's Mill Battlefield Historic Site.
    Lewis Robinson
    Armory Guards
    Snake Nation Disciples

"Of course, they say wars never settle anything - but that business about secession was settled by that war." Shelby Foote

It is very uniform in its color so no I don't think it has been painted. Right now I have one of my people repairing some small tears. It deffinetaly is not the dark green of the 1960's vintage pup tents that I had. Till I can get a pole and stakes I won't be able to set it up and get photos. I will try to get photos as soon as possible.
    Jim Busby

Walton Guards
    Co D 1st Florida Inf
    Co D 7th Vermont Inf
    Co C 3rd US Infantry
    http://www.waltonguards.org

The pre WWII and up to about 1943 conical tents were indeed a lighter shade of green. Is there any evidence of contractor labels that are or were sewn in the interior? It would be a white cotton tag about 6 inches by 4 inches somewhere on the inside of the door.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

I second what Ross said above. There are some early 1900's Camp Knox (Pre Fort Knox) pics where you can see those kind a Sibleys in the background.
    Micah Trent
    2nd Most Hated Reenactor in Kentucky - Western Federal Blues
    We the Hooligan Few
    Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site