Thread: Confederate Sabers

Default Confederate Sabers

Hi, I want to make an impression as a Confederate Cavalry Man. I am looking at two windlass steelcrafts sabers, the confederate cavalry officer saber or the confederete cavalry saber. I was wondering which one would be better historically. I personally like the officer's saber better, but the more curved blade of the other saber seems more common, but I have seen many cavalry sabers throughout history with even straighter blades. Also when I first start reenacting I probably wouldn't get to be an officer right away. So I was wondering what would be better, and if it would just be a matter of personal preference and wouldn't make that much of a difference. http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=500050

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=500646

"Personal preference" should really never be your guide for selecting clothing, weapons, accoutrements, etc. but rather what was the most prevalent representation for the unit that you are portraying. You are not an officer and as such you should not carry an officers sabre.

I have no idea as to whether you are doing a western or eastern CS impression, but might I suggest that you check out this post made by Christopher Wilson on getting a foundry to reproduce the 1853 British sabre that was found frequently in the CS cavalry ranks (especially early war and eastern theatre). I own an original and it is truly a beautiful and well balanced piece. Here is the link to his post and I suggest you contact him as he is taking orders on them, I believe.

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...british+sabers

Good luck,
    Mark
    Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D

Rancho San Rafael, Republic of the Pacific

It can never be stressed enough, do not buy anything for your reenacting kit until you join a unit. The experienced members of your unit will be more than happy to help you select the uniforms and equipment for your impression. If they are not, pick a new unit.
    Andrew Grim
    Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Boys
    Mess of Myself
    Occasional 7%er

"Los Angeles at the close of the Rebellion was the most vindictive, uncompromising community in the United States" Horace Bell

Quote Originally Posted by mooseman7 View Post
    Hi, I want to make an impression as a Confederate Cavalry Man. I am looking at two windlass steelcrafts sabers, the confederate cavalry officer saber or the confederete cavalry saber. I was wondering which one would be better historically. I personally like the officer's saber better, but the more curved blade of the other saber seems more common, but I have seen many cavalry sabers throughout history with even straighter blades. Also when I first start reenacting I probably wouldn't get to be an officer right away. So I was wondering what would be better, and if it would just be a matter of personal preference and wouldn't make that much of a difference.

I'm sorry but it seems that you have a lot of learning to do. Do you plan to join as an officer? First, find a unit then - and only then - purchase what they recommend for unit standard. As a private, you will not start out with an officer's piece of kit, especially an officer's saber. As wisely said above, personal preference has nothing to do with it at all, at least not for a few years until you learn at least enough to perform the function of officer within the unit that you join.

And keep in mind that your horse and all of the equipment to maintain and move him/her to and from events will be your first expense. Won't it? Plus the place to keep him at your farm or "ranch". Then and only then your proper uniform and equipment......
    Last edited by ACo.; 02-13-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    T.P. Hern
    Co. A, 4th Virginia
    The Stonewall Brigade

We are working on a high quality repro of the 1853 British Cav saber. Not taking orders until we have an accurate item ready for sale. I promise to keep everyone updated as this progresses. This will be a commercially available product. I am only pushing this product not an investor. This is being done as a commercial venture but I am working closely to make sure we have the most accurate saber possible.
    Last edited by doughboy; 02-14-2013 at 08:26 PM.