Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Period correct clothing of a photographer?

Hybrid View

Default Period correct clothing of a photographer?

I've made several attempts at finding this myself, but have not been able to find much information on the typical clothing of a traveling photographer of the period. Hoping someone here might be able to point me in the direction of a book or website with more information.

Psst...(whispering)...just about any kind of Civilian Clothing will work....
    Micah Trent
    2nd Most Hated Reenactor in Kentucky - Western Federal Blues
    Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

I'm not aware of any "special" clothing for a photographer, but you might spend some time on the Libary of Congress Prints and Photos website, specifically the Civil War collection. You'll find images of photographers, like this one (of many) for instance:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collecti...2003001044/PP/

or this one

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collecti...2003000031/PP/

This will also be a good source for you if you are intending to portray a photographer.

Happy searching!
    Kyle M. Stetz
    Last edited by NYCivilWar; 02-05-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Here are a few photos of photographers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lewis Robinson
    Armory Guards
    Snake Nation Disciples

"Of course, they say wars never settle anything - but that business about secession was settled by that war." Shelby Foote

Biggest question is do you have a proper camera?

Default Suggestion

First of all, thanks for asking the question -- it can open all sorts of opportunitites!

To add to the many suggestions above, I urg you to reach out to the many serious civilian men who have extensively researched civilian mens' wear. A good place to find them is the Sewing Academy (www.sewingacademy.org). [I doubt that will turn into a link -- you'll probabaly have to retype that URL in your browser, I'm very computer challenged.]

Don't be put off by the name. The site was founded by Elizabeth Stewart Clark to provide on-line support to those who wanted to learn more about period sewing. And so many civilians flocked there, that they started talking about all sorts of civilian topics, including period farming, period politics, period food and the list continues.

But a core area of interest on that site continues to be clothing and accessories of all kinds. The site is divided by "Mens' Clothing." "Women's Clothing," and "Children's Clothing," which makes it easy to quickly find past posts in the area(s) that most interest you.

You'll find some of the same guys posting here as there, as well as a host of guys who only post on the civilian side. I've found the community there to be very welcoming and very generous with their research.

Hope that's helpful,
    Karin Timour
    Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Hi Karin,

I was able to use the following link to connect to the Sewing Academy. This looks like a great site! Thanks for the tip. I am looking into "civilian" reenactment but more in the role of a camp following artist as opposed to a photographer.

Bob

http://thesewingacademy.org/

Default Great

Quote Originally Posted by rcleary171 View Post
    Hi Karin,

I was able to use the following link to connect to the Sewing Academy. This looks like a great site! Thanks for the tip. I am looking into "civilian" reenactment but more in the role of a camp following artist as opposed to a photographer.

Bob

http://thesewingacademy.org/
    Dear Bob:

Glad you like it -- there are a ton of amazing resources linked through that site, and again, the emphasis on that site is civility and research. I'm sure they'll make you welcome and you will find great references for a terrific impression.

Sincerely,
    Karin Timour
    Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
    Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Micah Trent View Post
    Psst...(whispering)...just about any kind of Civilian Clothing will work....
    I wasn't sure if it would be more dressy clothing or not.

Well,I loosely portray Frank Vizetelly,special artist for the London Illustarted and travel with the Confederates.I imagine that the attire would be similar.I have a wool frock,a summer frock and Andrew Kasmar is hopefully going to construct a sack coat for me. All pictures I have seen,even the field,people seemed fairly well dressed,but at the same time look really casual.Even work cloths were a bit dressy by todays standards,I think.There seems to have been a distinct difference in morning,day-time and evening dress,though.
    i would go in the direction of that photo of brady in the long duster,if you can handle that many layers.perhaps a functional sack coat.I could easily resemble either of the two gentlemen in the second picture above along Bull Run,if any of that helps.My biggest stroke of luck was finding Andrew of Beauregards tailor.Not only is is work beautiful,reasonable.and timely,he is quite a plesant young man,and I find him really helpful in his taste and guidance.His research is top-notch,as well.