Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: falling in with a unit?

It's not unusual to establish a working relationship, or even membership, with more than one unit. Key is establishing rapport with them ahead of time, so they know you and you know them. Then it's simply a matter of falling back in with them from time to time, even bringing others with you that you are confident can meet the other unit's standards.

Happens all the time.
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B

I'm a little surprised at all the casually affirmative answers here. You'd let a total stranger wander up and fall in with you at an event? Wow, our units sure wouldn't. With prior contact and arrangements. sure, but not out of the blue. And these days a lot of major events won't even let you register if you don't belong to some sort of umbrella organization.
    Scott Washburn
    Mifflin Guard
    www.paperterrain.com

General Jackosn, PM sent to you this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottWashburn View Post
    I'm a little surprised at all the casually affirmative answers here. You'd let a total stranger wander up and fall in with you at an event? Wow, our units sure wouldn't. With prior contact and arrangements. sure, but not out of the blue. And these days a lot of major events won't even let you register if you don't belong to some sort of umbrella organization.
    Most of the respondents seem to have mentioned contacting the unit beforehand, which answers the original question. You pose a different one, but a good one in this context: what do your units require before you allow a guest or recruit take part in a battle reenactment?

My home unit requires an aspiring member to at least meet with one or more of us a few times so we can get to know them and give them safety instruction and the basics of the School of the Soldier. Ideally they'll get to our annual COI, too, but timing matters -- we won't make them wait six months if they come to us in summer. Local living histories also make for good training opportunities. Depending on their aptitude we may then allow them to come to the next reenactment.

Big, mainstream reenactments have their downside, but they offer some decent training wheels for the new recruit -- light marching, easy camping, and a spot in the front rank of the typical phalanx where they won't get lost.

On the other hand, some of the p/c/h units I've fallen in with are a bit more casual. I met a fellow at Unison who was taking the field for the first time -- this at an event that involved eight miles marching, two nights bivouacking in the field, and several intense unscripted firefights, one at night. He enjoyed himself tremendously and came through well. It probably helped that he was the same age as a civil war soldier.

What do other units do?
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

Hallo!

1. Personal reputation, and/or being known or vouched for by a unit member
    2. Similar level of clothing and gear
    3. Passing a quick "inspection" as to Manual of Arms and basic basic Drill.
    4. Having a file closer keep an eye on Fall-in in regards to safety

Curt
    Birds of a Feather Flock Together Mess
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

Not a real Civil War reenactor, I only portray one on boards and fora.
    I do not portray a Civil War soldier, I merely interpret one.

Back in the "good old days", if I wanted to attend an event on my own, I'd just register as an individual, put on my blue suit, go to the event and look for a unit that needed an extra Yankee infantryman. I wouldn't even think of doing that today.

Our battalion, requires that we know the individual, or group, who wants to fall in with us. If they aren't members of the ANV, or another blanket organization, that we know provides insurance to their members, we require that the individual, or group provide proof of insurance. Of yeah, if they aren't there in time for battalion drill and the weapons inspections, they aren't going to be there for the "battle" either.
    Bill Rodman, If you need a really bad example.
    King of Prussia, PA
    wrodman1@aol.com

I guess they do things differently out east than here in the midwest. Most any of the units I know of welcomes those lonely guys looking for a home for the weekend. Of course unless the guy is a totally fresh fish we know him. It seems like we know most every experienced guy at least by sight. New guys very seldom show up alone, usually they have a buddy we know with them.
    How many guys one day says to himself- "hey I am going to go spend 2k of money and show up and play at a civil war event"-Usually they ask questions at forums, show up and watch an event, and then go talk to a unit. Thats how our unit has grown anyway.
    A totally guy "new" to anyone in the unit is usually taken aside and gets some one on one with the first sarg, or one of the perpetual privates. And then is sandwiched in between a couple of the perpetual privates. I don't know how many new fellers I have helped along. Maybe that is why our unit is growing while others are stagnating , and turning into messes.
    Cris Westphal
    Civil War Reenactor