Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making Civil War items

AJ,

Please post a notice when your next book comes out. I've got a copy of the first one sitting here beside me. I just got a new saw and "jawhorse" and am looking forward to a project.
    Mint Julep

A Proud 5%'er

A Dead Whale or A Stove Boat!

Default Rivets

That's exactly where I did find them. I think they were referenced in the article. Funny thing when I ordered them the lady said to me now she knew why she was selling so many of that type rivets all of a sudden.

Default Bread box stencils

I've seen them at hobby lobby. I guess it depends on what font type you're looking for.

Rickm

OldGuard13...

I don't know of anyone out there selling finished stencils for hardtack crates; you'll need to print them out and cut them yourself. I can give you the images (if I can figure out how to attach them here, that is).

Here's one for Robert Stears, which I copied from an example in Echoes of Glory:

For the Stears stencil, use an enlarging copier or scan this stencil to create a printout of working size. Regardless of the overall size of the stencil itself, the text portion should measure approximately 13" high by 17".

Here's one for A.T. Hanks. This one I copied from a crate in a museum in Hartford, Conn.

The Hanks stencil is smaller. For it, use an enlarging copier or scan this stencil to create a printout of working size. Regardless of the overall size of the stencil itself, the text portion should measure approximately 8-1/2" high by 13".

For both stencils, print them out on the heaviest paper you have, then use a SHARP utility knife to carefully and slowly cut out the letters. Yeah, it's a pain.

Hope this helps. (And I hope I uploaded the images correctly. I'm sure I'll hear about it if I didn't. )

A.J.

The stencils came through great. I bet it will take a while to cut them. That would be a good thing to get cut on a Laser cutter especially if you ere going to make several of them.

Rickm

I actually got a batch of the Hanks stencils made up and was selling them a while back. A couple of them are still available. You can see them here: http://cdvalbum.shutterfly.com/pictures/68.

Default stencils

How much are you selling the stencils for?

Rickm

Aj, I am also awaiting the release of your new book. I am also in search of plans/information to make a mess chest. Do you have an idea of where I could start looking.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island, #409 AFM
    Governor Guards
    SCAR, WIG
    www.scareenactors.com
    www.westernindependentgrays.org
    www.governorguards.com

Hi, Rufus...

Not sure what you mean by "mess chest." You mean something like a camp chest? Or like for cooking gear?

A.J.

For cooking gear. There is an orginal on page 214 of EoG, Arms and Equipment of the Confederacy.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island, #409 AFM
    Governor Guards
    SCAR, WIG
    www.scareenactors.com
    www.westernindependentgrays.org
    www.governorguards.com