Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Civil War items

Hybrid View

Wink Making Civil War items

Just joined the site. I have always been interested in Civil War History and also have been a avid woodworker. Just bought AJ Hamler's book on Civil War Woodworking and made the field desk. What fun. Made it out of oak vs. pine or basswood which would probably have been more period correct. I was pleased on how it came out. Would attach a picture but haven't quite figured that out yet. Would be interested in talking to other civil war woodworkers.

Welcome aboard. There is a good small group of avid CW woodworkers on here, so I know you'll be able to strike up some conversations and share tips on period-correct wood items (the sky is the limit). As a Junior Member, you are unable to post images or post on the buy-sell-trade folders until made a full member (a minimum number of approved posts will get you there). You're already a step ahead by obtaining Mr. Hamler's book (he's a member here who posts occasionally).
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Smile Would like info on making items

I would love to have the book.A lot of my equipment is 15 years old.I always buy quality but time is taking its toll.Current prices are high and I have noticed some of the products are not great quality in materials as well as workmanship.I have done my own repairs as needed and this has extended the life span of my tables,chairs,storage boxes ect ect...What I have noticed most is the Sutlers seem to be making or buying things made with lighter materials.While this may be great for saving weight,the stuff tends not to hold up more than a couple of seasons.Anyhow,when the book is available on making your own,I would love to purchase a copy.

Default Thanks for the welcome

Look forward to hearing from some fellow woodworkers and learning more about the site. Hope to get promoted at some point.

Hi Rick...

Thanks for getting the book, and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Don't worry about substituting oak for pine. That project as presented in the book was to convert a hardtack crate into a field desk, and as such it would have been made with pine or basswood if it was truly converted from a hardtack crate. But there's no reason at all that a field desk wouldn't have been made to about the same size as a hardtack crate (which is about average size when it comes to field desks; some were bigger, some smaller), and made out of any wood species available to the builder.

I'll look forward to when you can post some images!

BTW to you and everyone else, my deadline to turn CWW-II in to my publisher is this Friday, and I'm feverishly working to hit my deadline for the new book. Some great projects in it, if I do say so myself.

A.J.

I was wondering if anyone had helpful photos or tips on how to make a Civil War wood canteen

Default Book

I also have your box builders handbook. I'm also going to try making your civil war chair in the August Woodworkers Journal. Hardest part of that was finding the right size rivets.

Default Canteen

I haven't seen a canteen pattern yet but will keep my eyes open for you.

Rickm

Default a good place to get stenils

I'm new and trying to make a bread box, but need stencils for the box. Does anybody know where I can find or get some?

Thanks.

OldGuard13

OldGuard13...

I don't know of anyone out there selling finished stencils for hardtack crates; you'll need to print them out and cut them yourself. I can give you the images (if I can figure out how to attach them here, that is).

Here's one for Robert Stears, which I copied from an example in Echoes of Glory:

For the Stears stencil, use an enlarging copier or scan this stencil to create a printout of working size. Regardless of the overall size of the stencil itself, the text portion should measure approximately 13" high by 17".

Here's one for A.T. Hanks. This one I copied from a crate in a museum in Hartford, Conn.

The Hanks stencil is smaller. For it, use an enlarging copier or scan this stencil to create a printout of working size. Regardless of the overall size of the stencil itself, the text portion should measure approximately 8-1/2" high by 13".

For both stencils, print them out on the heaviest paper you have, then use a SHARP utility knife to carefully and slowly cut out the letters. Yeah, it's a pain.

Hope this helps. (And I hope I uploaded the images correctly. I'm sure I'll hear about it if I didn't. )

A.J.