Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What to bring to my first National Event?

Quote Originally Posted by orangeblossoms View Post
    Why pray tell, is this "mandatory equipment"?? I don't really want to open up a can of non-refrigerated worms here, but I am amazed by this ( and i'm holding out hope that it was written in jest).

Sean,

Mr Bill has qualified his assertion with the reality of mainstream reenacting today.

He can do a history heavy event with the best of em, pack it on his back and enjoys the challenge. He's also realistic enough to know that when he carries his grandchildren to an event, he better have coolers and the kitchen sink.

The reality in the hobby is that many on the mainstream end of the spectrum cannot fathom how some of us do this hobby with only period foods and no ice.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

In Florida we have a lot of experience with heat, humidity, and mosquitoes, all of which are guaranteed for Pennsylvania in late June. Nothing will ruin a night's sleep outdoors more than the infernal buzzing and itching of mosquitoes and their bites. I have woken up with more than a dozen bites at Fort Clinch and was once bitten on the lip at an event so that my face was swollen up like a melon in the morning. Fortunately for me, the Farb family next door had plenty of ice in their cooler. I am told meat tenderizer works as well and antihistamines. Deet is an absolute must.
    I have noticed that cotton shirts wet through very quickly in the heat and humidity, quickly becoming cold, clammy, and uncomfortable. The authentic domet (wool and cotton) Federal issue shirt, while a little scratchy (depends on your individual tolerance level) stays comfortable and wicks away moisture much better. We know they were worn at Gettysburg because they are mentioned as a way of identifying the Union dead. If temps soar into the 90s it doesn't matter, everything is uncomfortable. Photographic evidence suggests sack coats on hot days were for the camera and soldiers wore just their bottom shirts.

I wrote my earlier post with my tongue stuck in my cheek, but most of what wrote is true for a mega-event, like either of the two upcoming Gettysburgs. Mrs. Lawson is correct, I do attend history heavy events, although I pretty much just try to keep up. I'm also a firm believer that when in Rome, do what the Romans do.

Neither of the Gettysburgs are going to be history heavy, especially if you are with one of the big mainstream units. You are going to be stuck in the middle of a big open field with thousands of other reenactors. These events take place in late June, or early July, which means it's going to be HOT. You are going to need both shade and water, lots & lots of water. If you're like me, when the temperature is up around ninety, or a hundred degrees, you want that water to be cool. I took my wife's big cooler to the Manassas event two years ago. I kept track and over the course of the event, we went through a hundred pounds of ice. Most of which got used as drinking water, as it melted. So yeah, coolers and canvas are pretty much mandatory at this type of event, especially if you are staying in the mainstream camps.

Oh yeah, my advice about arriving early and leaving late still holds true.
    Bill Rodman, If you need a really bad example.
    King of Prussia, PA
    wrodman1@aol.com

Default Powder

Powder, lots and lots of it

You can get period toilet paper from The Sutler of Fort Scott, as well as period containers for your Gold Bond(which I can tell you, after not having any at G'burg '98, is one thing that you will be glad you brought). Why have to hide things, when more authentic alternatives are out there?

D.W. Scalf

Quote Originally Posted by Black trim reb View Post
    Powder, lots and lots of it
    Actually, I've found that since buying the correctly made authentic clothing and undergarments that there is no need for "powder" at all. I haven't had a chafe for 20 years.

WTH
    The UnderThere mess
    Yuma gonna luv it

Though it is quite modern, it works... Place a few dryer sheets under the top of your shelter and it will drive away mosquitos and spiders. Very hidden and effective.
    Peter Kappas, reenactor
    63rd PVI Co. C
    Freedom, PA

But if I started doing that, I'd have no reason to smoke a pipe while in the field!
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

If its anything like the ones ive went to especially manasacare aka manassas lol lots of water and i mean lots if you can

My brother Cody is in the 2nd Wisconsin Co K.