Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to bring to my first National Event?

Hybrid View

Default What to bring to my first National Event?

Hello all,
    I started reenacting two years ago but since then i have not had the opportunity to attend a national event. Gettysburg 150 will be my first and having no experience I am a bit confused on what to bring. I would like some info on what types of food to bring, how much gear to bring, and any other helpful hints.

Thanks,
    The true guts and Glory
    "Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo."

Second WI Volunteer infantry
    Co. K
    http://www.secondwi.com/

Anthony Burzinski

Guess I'll throw in my MHO ,, first off which event you going to??? gear= it's hot,,minimum shelter but be ready for rain. minimum gear ie. pack your pack by the regs. Less is more there as there are sometimes parking logistics, and camp prox. to think about.....can give a few specifics if you need. Paul Lopes

I will be going to the GAC ran gettysburg event

Co. K

Anthony Burzinski

At the 145th the Federals were camped a bit closer to the Battlfield and Sutler Row... so less marching, still what your pards do is still the best advice......so I'v been told...take that with a grain of salt... best to leave the "What if I need this" items in the car...untill you really need them... and it will be warm so keep water and possibly ice in mind...which will be had at a premium I might ad. Paul Lopes.

A little more information please.

Are you doing a mainstream or progressive impression?

Are you responsible for your own food, doing a shared mess, or company mess?

Will you have a place to conceal modern equipment, (A-Frame tent for example)

Etc...

Joe Musgrove
    "I fight for Uncle Abe"

I'm doing a mainstream impression of the iron brigade, We do have a company mess but that's only for dinners, and I will have a dog tent as I am going all the way from Wisconsin.

Co. K

Anthony Burzinski

Money.
    WTH
    The Bookkeeper's mess
    Yuma gonna luv it

Make sure you ask your leadership in your company, I'm sure they'll help you out. As a former member of Co. K I know there's a great deal of knowledge there.
    Really, with regards with stuff to bring, it's not too much different then normal. The only difference is that conveniences might be a much further walk away then your used to, so it would be best to be self-sufficient to a degree. Bring period food that will not spoil, pack light so you can walk in and out in 1 or 2 trips, bring toilet paper just in case they run out, and that's really it. You want have time to enjoy the event, not tramping around everywhere looking for the food stand or stuck in traffic or whatever.
    Tim Surprenant
    Holmes' Brigade
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    A/35th Engineer Battalion

Camp Randall Armory
    Maker of Contractor Lockplates for M1861 Rifle-Muskets
    www.camprandallarmory.com

Quote Originally Posted by indguard View Post
    Money.
    WTH
    The Bookkeeper's mess

I'll second that-----------------------------MONEY. That many Sutlers, your going to find something you don't need.

Enjoy-----------------Picketts Charge at the 145th GAC-was a grand.

Always
    Doug Thomas
    Lyons-Kentucky CS
    Last edited by captdougofky; 01-21-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: wording
    Holding on the High ground

Besides standard gear and uniform, I carry one extra pair of socks, extra shirt, and change of underwear.

For food I would do "dry staples" that do not require being kept cold. Stay away from canned goods. There heavy, hard to conceal, and not easily disposed of.

I sometimes carry packaged seasoning mixes and pair them with dried beef or sausage. Veggies and fruit are a good choice. Starbuck's individual Via packs keep my coffee addition in check. All the moderns mentioned are easily concealable and disposable.

While a little pricy, outdoor stores carry meals designed for back packing trips. Again these can be easily concealed and disposed of.

While some reenactors frown at food vendors, they can help supplement meals especially if you don't want the hassle of cooking and cleaning. Remember vendor food should be eaten in the vendor areas. "Pretty sure corn dogs and pop were not part of the Civil War experience"

For dish cleaning I bring a SOS pad and keep it hidden in a plastic bag. Authentic looking soap, tooth brush, baking soda, talc, large squares of period correct cotton material (use as washcloth and towel), and small container of bug reppelent with deet cover personal needs.

I keep a pack of travel Kleenex and sanitary hand wipes hidden for bathroom trips incase the porta johns are not stocked. (Saved me more than once).

Small flashlight is kept hidden for night bathroom trips.

"In the car" I keep a first aid kit (including pain reliever and Amodian), extra batteries for the flashlight, pillow and blanket (If you need to crash in the car), and have added bottled water to my list. "Water became scarce at Shiloh"

"Bare minimum and traveling lite is the key"

Joe Musgrove
    "I fight for Uncle Abe"