Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: falling in with a unit?

Default falling in with a unit?

The unit i'm going to join only does local and in-state reenactments not really doing the 150th due to not being that large of a group. i was wondering if it was common for people to fall in with another unit for a big event and if it is even welcome?

I do exactly that for all out of state events attended....short answer: yes.
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

Quote Originally Posted by RJSamp View Post
    I do exactly that for all out of state events attended....short answer: yes.
    Ok cool just didn't know how people felt about that.

I would reach out to some units beforehand though. I know my units generally won't allow you to just fall in if we don't know you from a safety and drill stand point. We often have units we regularly do events with and know each other well enough to allow members of theirs to fall in with us and vie versa. See if any of the units you are already are familiar with are going and ask first. It would be a shame to go some distance and not be able to find any unit comfortable with you in the ranks due to unfamiliarity.
    Robert Collett
    8th FL / 13th IN
    Armory Guards
    WIG
    Common Ground forum http://www.thecommonground.proboards.com

Dear Sir,

Have musket, will travel.

The most valuable player anywhere is a close-mouthed, friendly, Federal infantry private.
    Oh for a hundred thousand more!

all for the old flag,
    David Corbett

Pretty common.

It's always good to contact the group ahead of time and ask if you can fall in. Also ask about the unit's uniform and equipment requirements.

Joe Musgrove
    "I fight for Uncle Abe"

Rancho San Rafael, Republic of the Pacific

I have friends on the other side of the country so I can always find a place to play when I can travel east.
    Andrew Grim
    Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Boys
    Mess of Myself
    Occasional 7%er

"Los Angeles at the close of the Rebellion was the most vindictive, uncompromising community in the United States" Horace Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilo View Post
    Dear Sir,

The most valuable player anywhere is a close-mouthed, friendly, Federal infantry private.

all for the old flag,
    David Corbett
    No doubt David, rare as hens teeth around here.

In fact, this forum can be a great place to develop a network of friends you can fall in with when your unit isn't attending.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilo View Post
    Dear Sir,

all for the old flag,
    David Corbett
    And Yankee Dave:

Would you be knowing where we could find such a man?

A. Redd
    Andy Redd