Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51

Thread: Paintings and Sketches

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Cypress, Texas
    Posts
    34

    Default

    rcleary171,
    Are you painting these on the battlefield of real re-enactors? Or do you do them at home from photos?
    Michael Elledge

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
    rcleary171,
    Are you painting these on the battlefield of real re-enactors? Or do you do them at home from photos?
    Michael Elledge
    I paint them from photos. I plan on finding and visiting some reenactments to take my own photos in the future.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    168

    Default

    One of the things to keep in mind is that if you choose, you can shift your impression to that of a battlefield artist/correspondent. Maybe check out the boys from the Bohemian Brigade, as that is what they do primarily.

    Good stuff!
    Mel Glover
    -GG grandson of Cpl Christian Greener, 1st Wisconsin Cavalry, Co. F

    -Rob Weaver is my guru:
    -"...one of the characteristics of a good reenactor is the willingness to not be bulletproof."
    -"Be more concerned with your own impression than with anyone else's."

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Spring Hill, FL
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Private Glover View Post
    One of the things to keep in mind is that if you choose, you can shift your impression to that of a battlefield artist/correspondent. Maybe check out the boys from the Bohemian Brigade, as that is what they do primarily.

    Good stuff!
    A most excellent reply - one that hope someone was going to post sooner rather than later. This is just the kind of skillset that would make for an excellent period impression should you choose to do so. And the Bohemian Brigade is just the place for it.
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

    "But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Thanks Private Glover and Ross for the excellent idea. That is a very interesting approach and I may be able to develop the skills to provide that style of art. I purchased a book of Winslow Homer's sketches and I was pleased to find that it included his Civil War sketches, all needless to say from live subjects in camps and at the battle field.

    And I will begin with the Bohemian Brigade.

    Bob

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Browns Summit, NC
    Posts
    31

    Default

    one of the members in my group draws at reenactments. He does really nice work. He keeps a book of his drawings. doing your work at a reenactment is a cool idea

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Hey Bob,
    Love the art work. I have beenn doing civil war themed pottery and hope to add sketches and even photo transfer to them. Right now I am attaching items as design. Any potter in the era could have done the same work the items were around for inspiration. Check them out. http://s1257.beta.photobucket.com/?postlogin=true.you can sketch for me anytime. I will have work in gettysburg over the 15oth. Any feedback is great.
    John
    26th PVI

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshot View Post
    Hey Bob,
    Love the art work. I have beenn doing civil war themed pottery and hope to add sketches and even photo transfer to them. Right now I am attaching items as design. Any potter in the era could have done the same work the items were around for inspiration. Check them out. http://s1257.beta.photobucket.com/?postlogin=true.you can sketch for me anytime. I will have work in gettysburg over the 15oth. Any feedback is great.
    John
    26th PVI
    Hi John,
    Sorry for the late reply - I've been busy on other sites. Yes I am always interested in projects that involve my sketches. I will look into your stuff and pass on my feedback.
    Bob

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    603

    Default

    This isn't bad.It almost looks like stuff you would see in a children's book.I like it.
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

    "Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

    "When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn 'The Quiet Man'

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tenfed1861 View Post
    This isn't bad.It almost looks like stuff you would see in a children's book.I like it.
    Thanks - I have actually worked with a friend on a children's book a few months ago but we ended our partnership over artistic differences

    The following link shows some of my current stuff. I've been at this over a year with about 400 sketches and paintings under my belt. I expect to be at this a few more years with the hope that my work shows improvement. But if that does not happen I will still have a great hobby that costs a fraction compared to golf.

    Bob

    http://americancivilwarsketches.blogspot.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •