Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paintings and Sketches

Default Paintings and Sketches

Hello Group,

I'm a new member here. I have been interested in the American Civil War for many decades and I have recently started painting as a hobby. I am now in the process of combining my two passions into one. I am currently painting reenactment battles along with a number of other painting projects. I hope this group will not mind if I share some of my masterpieces.

All feedback is welcome,
    Bob

A Union Solider taking aim:

Hi Bob,
    I like your stuff. I guess it is watercolor, right?
    I wish you the best of luck here. My wooden cannon artwork was immediately moved to the "whine" section.
    Other than my first post, which I could not respond to in a timely fashion because of my Junior status, I have received close to zero feedback on my artwork.
    I realize, at this point, that artillery is not the most popular subject here.
    None the less, I appreciate your talent.
    Please post some more pictures.
    Zulu
    Michael Elledge

Hello Michael,

Thanks - I will have to check out your wooden cannon art (I for one enjoy artillery). I also share a junior status here so you may get this late.

Here is another subject taken from a reenactor.

Bob, I appreciate your watercolors and would like to see many more posted here...Zulu, as a fellow woodbutcher, please forgive me for not giving a big huzzah to your fine woodwork !!
    As always, OBSVT, Joe Cress..... "General, if they put every man they have......on the field to approach me......just give me plenty ammunition.....I'll kill 'em all.....before they reach my lines."

Thanks Josie,

I am looking forward to viewing but yours and Michael's work.

Here is my attempt at doing a portrait of General Grant.

Here we have a reenactor getting setup for a charge.

really nice work!! keep up the good work. I bet you could sell that easily. Keep posting up your work, great to see it!

Moderator Note: Please bear in mind that the primary purpose of this forum is the sharing and disemination of information and research to better our understanding of the Civil War and to improve reenacting. We by no means wish to stifle creativity and the sharing of art and creations that may or may not following the primary purposes here (to answer some of the alerts and personal messages the moderators have received). Please do not be offended that these threads have been moved to the Whine Cellar, as that folder was created to house those posts that do not necessarily fit in other categories but deserves some air time.
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010

I like your work! You will find reenacting will give you endless models and subjects to paint. That kneeling soldier has a very period feel. don't feel bad if people don't post comments about your work. The forum won't let you post short comments like "nice" and we have a longstanding tradition of not posting if you have nothing to contribute beyond "what he said." I like what you're doing, and what Zulu's doing because it makes me ponder the continuing influence of the Civil War on the arts and on culture.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Thanks Ross and Rob,

As a novice painter and someone new to the world of reenactments I have a lot to learn. I appreciate the opportunity to share some of my work and explore the topics on this site. It seems to me that the over all motivation here is to broaden our knowledge of the American Civil War and the activities and events of reenactors will provide a wealth of painting subjects for myself.

Bob