Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confederate overcoat question

Who makes a good English Blue Grey kersey overcoat?

Peter Griebel

Quote Originally Posted by Griebz View Post
    My unit is ANV.. Picketts division. I assume that the government appeal for overcoats would mean that overcoats came from private purchase or from home. So a civilain wool coat ?

Regards

Peter Griebel
    Can't go wrong with a civilian coat.

Since you are doing a unit in Picketts division you may want to read the letters I have here http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/9va/letters.html

While not addressing the overcoat issue there is a lot of information that may be of interest as to some things being sent from home although inside of US lines.
    Jim Mayo
    Member of the old vets mess.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Peter, I sent you some information regarding an overcoat that I'm going to sell . It's of a civillian pattern that is similar to what was seen on captured Confederates, after the fall of Ft. Donelson.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by E.Brown; 01-24-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    Eric Brown

Currently known to associate with the WIG / AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Thanks Eric.. What size is the coat?

Peter Griebel

Mr. Griebel, If you don't mind another opinion here...... Few years back i was dyeing some jean for a unit jacket project and messed up the first batch. Sent it on to the coat maker with a note, "What can you do wit this?" He made me a very nice 4 button sack coat, lined, lots of pockets, w/English import collar, (very civilian looking... not Depot!). Problem was he got his patterns mixed and made it about two sizes too big for me. I put some civilian coin buttons on it and started wearing it as a "short" over coat. Works perfect! Been down to 12 deg at night and very warm, but does not sweat me when the day warms up. Also much easier to pack than a long/capped overcoat. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.
    "In the heat of battle it ceases to be an idea for which we fight... or a flag. Rather... we fight for the man on our left and we fight for the man on our right... and when armies have scattered and when the empires fall away... all that remains is the memory
    of those precious moments... we spent side by side."

Paul Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by tenfed1861 View Post
    My advice is to avoid the Weller coat.IMHO,the Weller is far too often seen amongest CS reenactors.The Weller coat is documented to a Pvt. Weller of the 4th Kentucky Infantry,so kinda a western coat.If you want something different,try the blue-gray kersey English pattern greatcoat.That would have a fine look for mid-late war events.At the same time,you could go with a civilian overfrock.But the best advice is try to find the quatermaster records for your regiment you portray and see what comes up.Go to MoC in Richmond and see what research they may have.Good luck to you.
    I echo Mr. Smith on the Weller overcoat being too prevalent these days. This type of hooded overcoat was contracted by an officer of the 2nd Kentucky Infantry, Maj Hewitt, and procured for his men using his own funds, while the 2nd Kentucky was at Bowling Green in the winter of 1861-62. So this particular style of hooded overcoat would only be appropriate to the 2nd Kentucky in the winter of 1861-62, at Fort Donelson, and maybe in captivity after that at Camp Douglas. Having said that, Weller apparently kept his with him somehow, because it ended up with the rest of his belongings, including his Columbus Depot jacket that was probably issued in 1864. But this particularly style of overcoat would not be a common type.

4th Kentucky Infantry, Cotton States Battalion

Honoring Ensign Robert H. Lindsay, 4th Ky. Vol. Inf.
    KIA Jonesboro, GA August 31, 1864
    Roll of Honor for Murfreesboro and Chickamauga

Peter I just ran across this over on AC " The Landy Linsey Army Blanket Overcoat" looks interesting and fairly easy too http://ghti.homestead.com/Mississippicoatproject.pdf
    pvt Gary Mitchell
    2nd Va Cavalry Co. C
    Stuart's Horse Artillery

Which raises this question for me: It was typical for trappers and explorers in the nineteenth century to make coats out of blankets, especially Hudson's Bay blankets, which were called capotes. Has anyone ever seen records of people cutting up blankets to make more elaborate coats in the East?