Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Artillery

Cool Artillery

Hello,
    I am new to the forum. This is my first post. I re-enacted for 13 years with my full scale 10 Pounder Parrott Rifle until I sold it 2 years ago.

I have a unique hobby that I thought some might find of interest.
    I make non-firing replicas of historical cannons. Most are made of wood but I also make a very nice 1841 six pounder out of concrete.
    I thought I might share some of my artwork with viewers.
    Comments are welcome.

Here is a 1/2 scale 1841 six pounder made entirely out of wood.

My artwork is my passion. I really enjoy doing this.
    If you like seeing these pictures, I will post more. I have a lot of them. They all live in my house.
    Thanks for looking.
    Zulu

The man's got talent. Thanks for sharing.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them.
    "I didn't do my homework when I was in school. And, you expect me to do yours for you? Not happening."

Fantastic work, sir!

C. Scott Brown
    Camp Commander, SUVCW Sigel Camp #614
    President South Central Missouri Civil War Round Table
    Member Civil War Preservation Trust

Wheels didn't have tie-plates, spokes should be oval not round, etc. etc etc.
    http://markerhunter.files.wordpress....loh-vc-133.jpg
    David Einhorn, Author of the book titled, "Civil War Blacksmithing" available from Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Blac...+blacksmithing

Lets see the one you built so we can compare, I think his looks fantastic !!

He's got talent all right. Wish I could do half as well. Nice photo too.
    Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Thurman View Post
    Lets see the one you built so we can compare, I think his looks fantastic !!
    Here is a picture of the *full size* 57inch No.1 cannon wheels (on a full-size Traveling Forge) that I built to the government specifications, so that you can compare, as you requested. I built the full size *real working* wheels and I built the full size wheeled Traveling Forge. I even hand forged the hub bands and the lynch pins, and almost all the other metal parts on the forge, as well as doing all the woodwork myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Einhorn; 12-28-2012 at 06:36 PM.
    David Einhorn, Author of the book titled, "Civil War Blacksmithing" available from Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Blac...+blacksmithing

This thread has the potential to be a learning aid, despite the messages the moderators have received. We'll give this some leeway, as long as it stays civil. If it becomes about what's wrong and not positive, it'll be closed. Let's keep it nice....
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010

My apologies, I will stop providing information on government specifications and period methods of construction.

Mr. Einhorn, you need to do nothing of the sort - your posts are the reason why I said this post can be a learning aid. We just have to bear in mind this post isn't necessarily about period artillery but someone's handicraft based upon period items. Just like sutlers who offer clothing and equipment, it's always good to know about the period goods they are meant to replicate.
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010