Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Demolition of the old Cyclorama building in Gettysburg

Quote Originally Posted by David Einhorn View Post
    Other locals and myself went through the new visitors center before they started charging for admission, and we could not find/see more than a small portion of the materials from the old visitors center on display. All the camp stuff was gone, most of the uniforms were gone, the display of cannon barrels was gone, the large display of guns was gone.

At the old visitors' center parking was next to the building and it was easy to get from the parking lot to the entrance. At the new visitor center, by the time I reached the door after struggling to transverse strips of swamp, I was done in.

I and other locals whom I have talked to enjoyed the old visitor center. I *really* don't like the new one.
    The Gettysburg Foundation doesn't care what you think. Isn't that obvious. And the current, (lack of) display of artifacts has been discussed ad nauseum here and on every internet board everywhere since the museum has opened. And, the Gettysburg Foundation hasn't changed a thing. If you don't like it call them and most of all, don't give them your money. That's the only way it's going to change. And, oh by the way, the new museum wasn't built just for "us," it was built for the huge tourist traffic that frequents the place each and every year. And they don't care the Gettysburg Foundation charges stadium prices for everything inside the building. It's the money that matters to that town in the end not the history. It's what the town can make off of the history that really matters. It's been that way since July 5, 1863, complaining on an internet board isn't going to change it.

And, if I read my calendar correctly, every rifle/musket the NPS has in their collection will be on display tomorrow thru Monday. Not that I need to pay to see them.

And, you book is great BTW.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them. Maybe you should look up the history of the 83rd Pennsylvania too, they make the 20th Maine look like the rookies they were.
    There are some very good books out there about the fighting on Culps and Lower Culps Hill. Vincent's Brigade had nothing on those boys at the other end of the line.

While I like the new visitor's center, I will conceed that it's not an equipment maven's paradise like the old one was. The wall of guns is still there, though, and better displayed for the general public. It's not a research museum - it's a visitor's center. This may sound like heresy, but tour something like this with a kid, or someone with a general interest in the period, or who is even interested in a different facet of the 19th century world. When You and I are saying "Look at this 1855!" they're saying "Another musket." The old center also had a good bit of junque that it stuck hither and yon around the building, daring visitor's to connect it with its significance. "Oh, look; the door of John Brown's cell. What's it doing here?" Now those items not directly related to the Gettysburg battle are set in context. With all humility, there does come a point at which the enthusiast's knowlege goes beyond the purpose of the museum.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

I was by today. Teams of folks in white suites with respirators were carrying bags from the windowless building marked "hazardous" to a trailer. Asbestos I figure. The feller who wanted the building saved is protesting tomorrow; Sunday.

Guns of Gettysburg on Display at GNMP

Visitors to Gettysburg National Military Park will have a rare opportunity to touch a piece of American history on Presidents’ Day, Monday, February 18. Original weapons used in the Civil War will be on display in the lobby of the Visitor Center from 10AM to 4PM.

The exhibit will display the most common weapons used in the Battle of Gettysburg, including muskets, rifles, rifle-muskets, carbines, revolvers, swords and sabres. Unlike most museum exhibits, however, this display will allow close examination of the artifacts and even light handling by visitors.

This special exhibit is part of the educational outreach programming of the Civil War Dance Foundation. In addition to conducting Civil War balls, dance demonstrations and classes, the CWDF also presents military and civilian artifact displays and lectures on a variety of Civil War topics.

See http://www.gettysburgfoundation.org/...:241/entry:858

I had to look a bit but, they were there.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them. Maybe you should look up the history of the 83rd Pennsylvania too, they make the 20th Maine look like the rookies they were.
    There are some very good books out there about the fighting on Culps and Lower Culps Hill. Vincent's Brigade had nothing on those boys at the other end of the line.

Sorry to see it go ~ always enjoyed viewing it whenever I visited the area in past years!
    I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Quarter Gunner & Apprentice Sailmaker, R. Bohlman, CSN
    late of the C.S.S. Ram Arkansas,
    now attached to the CS Naval Station
    Jackson, Mississippi

Member USNLP
    http://www.usnlp.org/

Soldiers Rest Cemetery, Vicksburg, MS
    Aide-toi et Dieu t'aidera

Member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans
    Camp # 265, Rankin County Rough and Ready’s
    http://www.scv265.com/

The win here is a restored Zeigler's Grove. Kinda ironic if you look at it like their unpaving a parking lot and putting up paradise.
    Rob Weaver
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."

This building should never have been built (and I say that as someone with fond childhood memories too).

The roof leaked most of the life of the building. I BELIEVE the leaks actually damaged the painting it was designed to protect.

The big bank of glass on the north side was a retracting door that worked ONCE.

If this is a good example of architecture of its period, its a sad commentary.

It is an albatross and should be gone. There is a sentimental side to me that will be sorry to see it gone, but mostly, I will be happy.

Oh...and I believe there were settlement problems with the foundation from the very beginning. I think that is documented in NPS reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bockmiller View Post
    This building should never have been built (and I say that as someone with fond childhood memories too).

The roof leaked most of the life of the building. I BELIEVE the leaks actually damaged the painting it was designed to protect.

The big bank of glass on the north side was a retracting door that worked ONCE.

If this is a good example of architecture of its period, its a sad commentary.

It is an albatross and should be gone. There is a sentimental side to me that will be sorry to see it gone, but mostly, I will be happy.
    Yep. I think you hit nearly everything wrong with twentieth century modernist buildings. They settle and they leak. I think when all is said and done, history will not remember this movement fondly. In addition to those doors that didn't open, I believe there was an amplitheater next to the entrance that was constructed and never used. Ever. Purpose-built structure that was under-utilized.
    Really, this building's signature sin was being built in the wrong place.
    I really wish they'd just torn it down in the middle of the night and let the chips fall where they may. Watching it decay into the ground for the past few years has been painful, like watching your elementary school turn into a crackhouse.
    Rob Weaver

There is a lot going on with the NPS and the people that run the visitors center. I do hope someone else can take over the new visitors center, because they are mainly in it to make money, and not present the history of the battle of Gettysburg. They can cut out that slavery video since it is not need for Gettysburg. Most of the weapons are in storage collecting dust. It is a shame.

1st Sergt 2nd USSS Co. C
    "My plans are perfect, and when I start to carry them out, may God have mercy on Bobby Lee, for I shall have none."
    General 'Fighting' Joe Hooker