Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help identifying this weapon!!

Hybrid View

Default Need help identifying this weapon!!

I have a possible lead in the it appears to be very similar to some of the Remington rolling block rifle conversions made right after the civil war. Any help would be appreciated. These are the only pictures I have so you have the same information I have. Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
    Matt Penhale
    Captain 31st AL Inf.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hallo!

Some one with more knowledge than I can jump in...

Can you share what stampings are on the breech or barrel. (It would be a quickie shortcut as to which foreign country Remington made it for after 1867.

When the U.S. was not keen on the rolling block, Remington did a great business with other countries such as Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Egypt. the Papal States, Belgium, Netherlands, Cuba, Spain, Japan, Greece, France, Chile, Peru, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Mexico, Bolivia, Brazil, Columbia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatamala, Honduras, Nicaragua,
    Panama, Paraguay.

Anyways, not being a follower or collector, I do not know the variations. (But the markings can be a guide...)

Curt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

Not a real Civil War reenactor, I only portray one on boards and fora.
    I do not portray a Civil War soldier, I merely interpret one.

Appears to be one of the non-firing replicas.
    Lieut Frederick Sineth
    14th Virginia Infantry Regt Co.I
    - 106th Penna Vol Co.F

- Pegrams Va Artillery
    - 150th Sailors Creek

Hallo!

Remington sold over a million of these to 60 plus countries after the Civil War.

I have consulted the bible of Remington references, "Remington Rolling Block Miitary Rifles of the World' by George Layman trying to reference the rear sight to ID which variation it belonged on.

It matches none of the 64 in Layman.

However, the hammer shape and the unusual rolling block tab appear to be the New Zealand version. But the rear sight does to appear on any. At first blush, I would want to say that one possibility is that the originalk rear sight was lost, and someone over time, some where, replaced it with something form anoterh gun lying around that just happened to fit.
    "Odd parts' often appear on surplus guns, added to beef up their sale value. The giant CW surplus firm of Schuyler, Hartley & Graham were known for curious mixtures of parts. Even Whitney did the same, assembling parts to get complete guns to get rid or surplus parts and guns.

Again, I defer to more knowledgeable Remington folks, or hold out for the markings or stampings.

Curt
    Stump the Chump MEss

Denix non-firing replica.
    David Thomas
    Starr's Battery
    Fayetteville, NC
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/AuthenticCWArtillery/

Hallo!

Ah the curse of not having "gun" in hand, and a small monitor.

Excellent call!

Denix (Denix s.a., C.A.S. IBERIA, Inc) model-gun "Remington Rolling Block Rifle."

Curt

Incidentally, Curt, the Remington Rolling Block was made for years through about 1920. It was a very popular hunting and plinking gun. I shot one in .22 that was a gem. It is also the rifle pictued on the Guatemalan flag: crossed rifles and a wreath in the center.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Hallo!

Thanks.

My wife learned to shoot with her grandfather's, a .22 made in 1903.

I have a restored M1871 in .50-70 redone as a bufalo rifle. And had two of the New York contract versions.

My favourite is the Mattel Greenie Shootem cap "Shootin' Shell" version of the 60's.

Curt

I traded a stone mint one made in 1915 for the French Army during WW1.

The "antiqued" matt grey (pot metal) metal finish was a quick indicator of the non-firing replica as I earlier mentioned. Appears nothing like majority of the true Remington case hardened breech blocks are made of. Denix made majority of the wall hanging non-firing display replicas but other similar makers are known of them too out there. Most of the Denix usually has a small company logo in a diamond shaped stamp somewhere on most of theirs. They occasionally show up with collectors and "found in grandpa's attic"...
    Lieut Frederick Sineth
    14th Virginia Infantry Regt Co.I
    - 106th Penna Vol Co.F

- Pegrams Va Artillery
    - 150th Sailors Creek