Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remembrance Day 2013?

Default There are two events

It seems that some people do not understand that there are two events that commemorate the Gettysburg Address.

DEDICATION DAY is always held on November 19 (regardless of day of the week), the anniversary of the dedication of the National Cemetery in 1863. The lead sponsor of the event is the Lincoln Fellowship of Pennsylvania, the GNMP, Gettysburg Foundation and Gettysburg College assisting. The main event is a speaker in the cemetery. Last year it was Steven Spielberg. For the 125th in 1988 it was Chief Justice William Rehnquist and for the 100th in 1963 in was Pennsylvania Governor William Scranton. For a complete list of speakers see http://www.lincolnfellowship.org/dow...20speakers.htm. Presidents have been invited in the past but none have attanded.

REMEMBRANCE DAY is held on a Saturday close to November 19. It is sponsored by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War and includes a parade, wreath laying ceremony at the GAR Woolson Monument, and Civil War Ball. The date change this year had nothing to do with the invitation to the President to attend Dedication Day.

As a member of the Lincoln Fellowship and the Sons of Union Veterans who has attended many of these events in the past 49 years, I hope this provides some clarification.

Larry Keener-Farley
    Last edited by VDE; 01-20-2013 at 04:17 PM.

I know that my usual remembrance day group decided to not go this coming year once we were told the rates Remembrance Day Sunday morning @ the 1863 for the original 2013 date.

I think the original host hotel was also charging more than double the usual RD rate for a room.
    Mike Schramm

Mike,

I'm thinking this will split up the crowd to some extent, giving the area two weekends of tourist influx instead of one. My plans include an organized walk in the Park that intentionally remains scheduled for the weekend of the 16th.

Being as I'm not much on balls (po' whites didn't have 'em), I view it as a lucky break. Otherwise, the rates for the Big Parade meant I was going to sleep in car at a nearby state park.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Mrs. Lawson,

I was just think about driving to the town edge, dropping a sack of money and leaving.

Then I don't have parking issues for my trailer, my horse doesn't poop on their streets and I don't walk from the campground to town on the NPS's hallowed asphalt (first time ever pulled over while mounted).

And they get what they want.
    Mike Schramm

Default Obama won't be attending Dedication Day this year

Quote Originally Posted by mcn2de View Post
    This is the reason most likely for the change in the date:

U.S. Senators Bob Casey and Pat Toomey and U.S. Congressman Scott Perry, R-4, invited President Barack Obama to Gettysburg to commemorate the 150th anniversary of President Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address and the dedication of the Soldier’s National Cemetery in November.

The lawmakers sent the letter Thursday requesting Obama’s participation to deliver the keynote address at Gettysburg National Military Park.

The Lincoln Fellowship of Pennsylvania, the Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg College and the Gettysburg Foundation are partnering to mark the occasion on Nov. 19.

“The words of President Lincoln are as true today as they were 150 years ago — ‘the world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here,’” said Joanne Hanley, president of the Gettysburg Foundation. “The Gettysburg Foundation is grateful for Senators Toomey, Casey and Representative Perry’s efforts because in coming together to honor those who fought in 1863, we are honoring every man and woman who ever fought for this country, in every battle, in every war, on any soil. The deeds cannot be forgotten and need to remain relevant to every man, woman and child today, so that we ‘never forget.’”

“President Lincoln’s immortal Gettysburg Address is revered all over the world — because of that, millions of visitors are drawn to Gettysburg each year,” said state Sen. Richard Alloway, R-33. “Not only are we observing the Sesquicentennial of the Battle of Gettysburg in 2013, we are also commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address. There would be no better way of honoring Lincoln’s legacy, and paying respect to the thousands that gave that ‘last full measure of devotion’ here, than having the President of the United States participate in Dedication Day ceremonies Nov. 19 at Soldiers’ National Cemetery.”

This was posted online the past few days
    Mike

The President will not be attending the Dedication Day event in Gettysburg this year, according to the National Park Service (NPS). He was invited to speak at the event in the Soldiers National Cemetery that commemorates the anniversary of the Gettysburg Address (the 150th this year), but has declined. See the NPS press release at:

http://www.nps.gov/gett/parknews/ded...s-10-31-13.htm

[For a while, I’ve been hearing rumors that he was attending the Remembrance Day Parade, which I dismissed outright for a variety of reasons. I’ve not see any official word on this from the Sons of Veterans Reserve, who organize Remembrance Day, and I’m sure it would have been widely publicized if true. People probably got it mixed up with the Dedication Day invitation.]

Regardless, if you can make it to the Dedication Day ceremony on Tuesday, Nov. 19, you can hear Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell and Pulitzer Prize-winning historian James McPherson. This is a great event, but it’s usually held early in the day on a weekday and there is limited reenactor participation.
    Last edited by Quickstep; 10-31-2013 at 12:00 PM.