Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remembrance Day 2013?

Default Remembrance Day 2013?

Folks,
    I heard a rumor that Remembrance Day has been changed from the 16th to the 23rd. Can someone out there confirm this???

Scot Buffington

Yes, that is what I have been told by an extremely reliable source.
    Lt. Todd Wiley
    42nd Mississippi Co. I
    Harrisburg/Gettysburg Pa.

Scott,

Word in the various women's groups is that some of these ladies called the GVCB and confirmed with them after their hotels had contacted them about moving room reservations. It seems some hotels are attempting to take care of their previously reserved guests

It's worth a direct call to the Gettysburg Visitors and Convention Bureau to confirm
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Default SVR Official Announcement

Here is the official notice:

http://suvcw.org/svr/orders.htm

GENERAL ORDER 2013-1
    Sons of Veterans Reserve
    7 January 2013

1. The 57th Annual Grand Army of the Republic Remembrance Day Parade sponsored by Sons of Veterans Reserve Military Department of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War will be held on Saturday 23 November 2013 and not on Saturday 16 November 2013 as previously published. We apologize for any inconvenience this date change may cause.

2. The SVR/SUVCW headquarters hotel has also changed. Our headquarters hotel is now the Wyndham Hotel 95 Presidential Circle, Gettysburg, PA, phone 1-717-339-0020. There is a 2 night minimum and we have a special daily room rate of $113.00. They also own the Courtyard Marriott which is right next door within walking distance and the rate there is also $113.00. In addition to the hotel room rate the local and state governmental authorities will impose their customary tax on hotel guests. Hotel reservations can be made any time after 15 January 2013. It is suggested that you make your reservation early as this will be the 150th anniversary of President Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address which may result in a large number of visitors to Gettysburg for Remembrance Day weekend. The special hotel rate is available to all those identifying themselves as participating in the SVR/SUVCW Remembrance Day activities.

3. The annual SVR breakfast will be held at the Wyndham Hotel at 8:00 a.m. 23 November 2013. Reservations should be made with Colonel Donald E. Darby, Adjutant General of the SVR.

4. The annual Grand Army of the Republic memorial ceremony will be conducted at the Woolson Monument in Ziegler’s Grove on 23 November 2013 at 11:00 a.m.

5. The Original Civil War Ball sponsored by the SVR/SUVCW will be held at the Wyndham Hotel on the evening of 23 November 2013. Tickets are available from Brigadier General Henry E. Shaw, Jr., Deputy Commander of the SVR. Music will be by the Philadelphia Brigade Band with dance instruction by the Victorian Dance Ensemble Performing Troupe of the Civil War Dance Foundation. The net proceeds from this ball are donated to the Gettysburg National Military Park for monument preservation.

Major General Robert E. Grim
    Commanding Officer
    Sons of Veterans Reserve

Attest:
    Colonel Donald E. Darby,
    Adjutant General
    Sons of Veterans Reserve

PS - Information on the 20th Annual Ball will be forthcoming.

Larry Keener-Farley
    VDE-CWDF

Default Change of date

I was in Gettysburg yesterday for a meeting and indeed confirmed the change in date.

I was sure they changed the date of Remembrance Day for me as it would accommodate my schedule as I am attending my 40th High School reunion on the 16th. Would not be a R-Day parade without the the bearskin hat leading the Federal City Brass Band!

Jari
    Last edited by Jari; 01-12-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    Jari Villanueva
    www.tapsbugler.com
    www.taps15.org
    The hardest 24 notes in music are Taps

I'm just curious if anyone has heard a reason for this change of dates. Why the change?
    Bob Werner
    Freedom Guards Living History Co.
    U.S. Marine Corps Historical Company
    Marine Guard, USS Constellation

Price gouging by the previous hotel vendor has been mentioned. Prices doubled for this year as it was a 150th. The Son's took their business elsewhere.
    Sgt Mackay

Its true.. Thank god i was able to get a room at the Getty's hotel.. I was shocked

Peter Griebel

This is the reason most likely for the change in the date:

U.S. Senators Bob Casey and Pat Toomey and U.S. Congressman Scott Perry, R-4, invited President Barack Obama to Gettysburg to commemorate the 150th anniversary of President Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address and the dedication of the Soldier’s National Cemetery in November.

The lawmakers sent the letter Thursday requesting Obama’s participation to deliver the keynote address at Gettysburg National Military Park.

The Lincoln Fellowship of Pennsylvania, the Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg College and the Gettysburg Foundation are partnering to mark the occasion on Nov. 19.

“The words of President Lincoln are as true today as they were 150 years ago — ‘the world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here,’” said Joanne Hanley, president of the Gettysburg Foundation. “The Gettysburg Foundation is grateful for Senators Toomey, Casey and Representative Perry’s efforts because in coming together to honor those who fought in 1863, we are honoring every man and woman who ever fought for this country, in every battle, in every war, on any soil. The deeds cannot be forgotten and need to remain relevant to every man, woman and child today, so that we ‘never forget.’”

“President Lincoln’s immortal Gettysburg Address is revered all over the world — because of that, millions of visitors are drawn to Gettysburg each year,” said state Sen. Richard Alloway, R-33. “Not only are we observing the Sesquicentennial of the Battle of Gettysburg in 2013, we are also commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address. There would be no better way of honoring Lincoln’s legacy, and paying respect to the thousands that gave that ‘last full measure of devotion’ here, than having the President of the United States participate in Dedication Day ceremonies Nov. 19 at Soldiers’ National Cemetery.”

This was posted online the past few days
    Mike

Sigh.

That's gonna be miserable. Maybe this time the Secret Service will get a clue that ladies in steel bone corsets are not a threat to safety.

'No sir, if I take my corset off, my dress won't close and I'm not walking around like that. Thank you, I just won't see the Vice President today' ~~Me, 5 years ago at Chickamauga
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!