Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Permit Granted for 150th Gettysburg Blue Gray Alliance Reenactment

I imagine that since it's the same event, on the same piece of land, that they do year after year after year, GAC had fewer hoops to jump through to secure their permits.
    Keith Kosek

1st MN, Co. A

http://www.firstminnesota.org/

“The beautiful thing about the truth is, the truth requires your questions. Therefore, there is no competition in art.” - Gary Busey

State, county, and city aside, I think I'll more likely attend the event officially recognized by most reenactors I know. Good to hear BGA got the permit -- paperwork is everything
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post
    ...paperwork is everything.
    Yep. The world stops spinnin' without it.
    Mel Glover

Rob Weaver is my guru:
    -"...one of the characteristics of a good reenactor is the willingness to not be bulletproof."
    -"Be more concerned with your own impression than with anyone else's."

To those whom have never put on an event, getting a permit in Adams County is like pulling teeth, I know, for At High Tide mine was finally issued 2 months out....and months of work...

Part of the rush, I guess...

Pards,
    S. Chris Anders
    Southern Division
    www.southerndivision.org
    www.rearrank.com
    www.marylandmymaryland.org

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. - Niccoló Machiavelli, The Prince. 1537.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Dave View Post
    As I drove into Gettysburg in November, there were billboards that said the GAC event was the event officially recognized by the State of Pennsylvania. I suspect all of the permits were in hand before that sort of expense was incurred.
    Suspecting and knowing are sometimes two different things. I'm not going to rely on a billboard for my facts. I've not heard anything confirming that GAC has any permits approved.
    If they do, it would be nice if they'd publish that information. If they don't, it would be nice if they'd publish that information. Just like BGA did.
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B

Gentlemen,

Lets be fair here.

Both the BGA and the GAC published 'Letters of Intent' in late November/early December. Neither had permits in hand at that time. Both had done extensive work on the process.

These Letters of Intent can be obtained when permit packages are substansively complete and the respective Townships believe that permits will be issued once the reviews are completed and fine tuning done. They are one more step in a massive process.

The BGA event property is contained within one Township, with an early January meeting date.

If I recall correctly, the GAC site lays over Township lines and the organizers have to satisfy two Townships--as they have been doing for years.

So, while permits are quite an accomplishment, there is really no doubt about either event going forward.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Quote Originally Posted by flattop32355 View Post
    Suspecting and knowing are sometimes two different things. I'm not going to rely on a billboard for my facts. I've not heard anything confirming that GAC has any permits approved.
    If they do, it would be nice if they'd publish that information. If they don't, it would be nice if they'd publish that information. Just like BGA did.
    The GAC has been publishing regular updates on their web site ... http://www.gettysburgreenactment.com/787/#more-787
    Sgt Mackay

Quote Originally Posted by 23rdYahoos View Post
    The GAC has been publishing regular updates on their web site ... http://www.gettysburgreenactment.com/787/#more-787
    Cool Sarge....where's the update on the Permits? and the last update was 60 days ago and you personally consider this to be 'regular'?
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

Quote Originally Posted by RJSamp View Post
    Cool Sarge....where's the update on the Permits? and the last update was 60 days ago and you personally consider this to be 'regular'?
    I somehow ened up on the GAC 150th E-News blast and have been getting updates sent to my email every two weeks or so. I assumed that the same info was being posted on the web site - appareently that is not the case. Here is the link to the last blast I received-

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=mwsf4jkab&v=001hufgit2uCW_oxrc1RJnlHnJN dIZco_n5ENzo8Xzh0B6NRgoZgb1vyTno02lmHC2xHVD1AlVaWM CYw1oVv0yc1bsiGl-rAChYzPIHHrpej8s%3D

I have no dog in this fight, and am actually attending both the GAC and the BGA events. I live about two hours away from GB and I am going to GAC to support my unit, and a few of us are also going to BGA with a different unit to experience it for ourselves. It will be interesting to compare the two events and I truly hope each is spectacular and provides its own unique experiences. Until then I won’t get caught up in bashing either one.
    Sgt Mackay

Thank you Sgt Mackay.

I was reviewing my email files trying to find that update with the GAC's information on having obtained a Letter of Intent from the two townships they must deal with. You saved me some time by pointing out the Letter of Intent announcement.

Some of us are fortunate enough to be able to go to both events. I hope to do the same.

The GAC has obtained permits in the past, and there is no reason to think they will not obtain them this time, especially in the light of having Letters on Intent in hand.

The BGA is to be congratulated in obtaining their permit, especially given that this is their first time through the process.

Lets all turn to planning our trips and participation. I believe all of us have work to do in order to give these events our best effort.
    Provost Aide de Camp

»Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry." >Mark Twain