Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permit Granted for 150th Gettysburg Blue Gray Alliance Reenactment

Hybrid View

Default Permit Granted for 150th Gettysburg Blue Gray Alliance Reenactment

Mega-event to take place June 27-30, 2013 at the historic Bushey Farm in Gettysburg
    (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania) - 1/7/2013
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    CONTACT: Kris Shelton Event Media Coordinator Longstreet’s Corps/Blue Gray Alliance 150thgettysburg@longstreetscorps.com On Monday, January 7, 2013, the Freedom Township Supervisors followed up on the Letter of Intent they issued December 15, 2012 and granted the Blue Gray Alliance the special events permit for the 150th Commemoration and Reenactment of the Battle of Gettysburg to be held on June 27-30, 2013.
    Logistics Planning Complete
    All logistics planning for the event is complete including approved plans and providers for security, ambulance, medical, fire, traffic control, shuttles, parking signs, traffic flow, services (trash, water, ice, portajohns, firewood, hay, etc.) as well as the paid army of personnel to staff all those areas. All property leases have been signed, parking, camp, sutler, and battle areas mapped out, and all other logistical areas addressed including food vendors and sutlers approved.
    Reenactor registration is open and registered participants as well as the units they registered with can be found on the website www.bluegraygettysburg.com . Applications for residents of the civilian-only “Town of Gettysburg” keep coming in and those are reviewed as they are submitted.
    Battle Scenarios to be Finalized Soon
    The next step is to finalize the battle scenarios drafted with the help of the Blue Gray command staff and using resources such as The Maps of Gettysburg, by Gettysburg battle expert Bradley Gottfried, and conversations with Nick Warren, a nationally recognized Gettysburg historian. “The order of battle (which unit fights where and when) needs to be finalized as well as which reenacting unit will portray which original unit from the various battles,” notes General Bob Minton, Federal Commander. The overall schedule of events including the battles, speakers, activities, etc. will be available soon, and approval of the living historians--who will play the prominent generals at the original battle—will follow.
    Work Days Scheduled
    Work days for volunteer crews have been scheduled for just about every weekend starting once the snow clears. “We’ve had a great response from volunteers in the area and as far away as Florida,” comments K.C. Meadows, Adams County resident and event organizer. The work will include road improvements and constructing the fence and stone wall for the Pickett’s Charge scenario as well as other battlefield features.
    “The cooperation between our event organizers, land owners, township supervisors, support services and reenactor population has been tremendous,” comments Way, “and we’re very pleased to see it all coming together so well.”
    The Blue Gray Alliance is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization comprised of many of the major reenacting organizations across the country including over 18,000 members. Member organizations share common goals including reenactments planned and managed by reenactors to ensure the experience is authentic and rewarding for all. For more information on Blue Gray Alliance member organizations, visit www.bluegrayalliance.org
    For additional information regarding the 150th Commemoration and Reenactment of the Battle of Gettysburg, a Blue Gray Alliance event, visit www.bluegraygettysburg.com or find us on Facebook or Twitter @150thGettysburg.
    Thanks,

Terry Shelton
    1st Regiment Kentucky Volunteers, Co E CSA
    1stky.org

WOOHOO! That is great news! This is shaping up to be a very special event!
    Chris Owens

ooschris@hotmail.com

CWT

150th BGA Gettysburg. June 27-30 2013

"War is old men talking and young men dying"

Great news!
    Joe Beedle

1st and 2nd Minnesota

Now we can focus even more closely on scenario planning.

The key to planning for each of you is to know you are coming.

Register now.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Great news, however, I was under the impression that this was squared away months ago? I guess wires got crossed somewhere........
    Micah Trent
    2nd Most Hated Reenactor in Kentucky - Western Federal Blues
    Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

so what you are saying is, everyone has been paying and registering for an event, that was not approved by the township, county and no permits were released to hold such an event until now...........
    Lt. Todd Wiley
    42nd Mississippi Co. I
    Harrisburg/Gettysburg Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by longstreet7 View Post
    so what you are saying is, everyone has been paying and registering for an event, that was not approved by the township, county and no permits were released to hold such an event until now...........
    As Bob said, the event permit process was a long difficult one and if you're been following this forum you would have seen that.

Something very exciting and special will happen in June at the Bushey farm, the battles will be epic and accurate in nature and the reenactors and their families will be part of a very special event.
    Last edited by Capt Terry; 01-08-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    Thanks,

Terry Shelton
    1st Regiment Kentucky Volunteers, Co E CSA
    1stky.org

Sgt. Wiley-I'd expect that neither the BGA or GAC events had permits actually in hand when registration opened for them. There was a press release from GAC a month or so ago that they had a "letter of intent". Their registration has been open for months. I'm not implying they won't get their permit or they did anything untoward. I'm sure they will have permits if they don't already. I'm just saying when registration opened I'd bet neither event had a permit in hand. BGA has been working closely with Twp officials for months on the process and have been confident permits were forthcoming.

Best regards,
    Bob Minton
    Army of the Ohio

Removed, as it was misdirected and not for this section of the forum. However, I did not mention "GAC" above.
    Last edited by longstreet7; 01-09-2013 at 01:30 AM. Reason: I did not follow forum protocol for discussions on this thread.
    Lt. Todd Wiley
    42nd Mississippi Co. I
    Harrisburg/Gettysburg Pa.

As I drove into Gettysburg in November, there were billboards that said the GAC event was the event officially recognized by the State of Pennsylvania. I suspect all of the permits were in hand before that sort of expense was incurred.