Thread: 24th Mich Battalion 150th BGA Gettysburg Announcement

Default 24th Mich Battalion 150th BGA Gettysburg Announcement

The 1st Battalion in Murray's Brigade welcomes to the ranks Dom Dal Bello who will serve as Lieutenant Colonel. Along with Dom brings another two companies. While the details of company commanders is being finalized, I can say one company will be raised from AoP and Colorado boys and the other will be based out of the Frontier Brigade and Holmes Brigade. Welcome aboard! That brings the battalion portraying the 24th Mich/1st MPHB up to 7 companies.

Here are some handy links to have:
    1st Battalion Website
    http://unionreenactor.com/1stregiment.html

Impression Info has been updated
    http://unionreenactor.com/24MichGuide.html

Registration
    https://sites.google.com/site/wester.../1st-battalion

Any questions feel free to send me a PM, post here or email.

Battalion Adjutant
    Last edited by pvt_jb; 01-05-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Sally Port Mess
    Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
    Old Northwest Volunteers

"If the men pursue the enemy as vigorously as they do the whores they will make very efficient soldiers."
    Charles B. Haydon, 2nd Michigan-May 6, 1861

"The horse is dead, his bones beat to a fine powder, the powder used to make a fine biscuit, and the biscuit beaten back into a powder."
    John Wickett

Battalion Structure to date:
    Colonel Will Eichler
    Lt Colonel Dom Del Bello
    Major Pat Craddock
    Adjutant Jeremy Bevard
    Sgt Major Nathan “Holler” Hellwig
    Qm/Commissary James Rapai & Jim Crawford
    Musician Robert Cook
    Captain Scott Cummings (Mich/Bombproof Mess)
    Captain Andy Roscoe (Mich/Western Rifles)
    Captain Tom Steele (Sally Port Mess/ONV)
    Captain Mike Comer (New Madrid Guard)
    Captain Sean Cowger (Prodigal Sons Mess/36th IL)
    Captain TBD (AoP)
    Captain TBD (Frontier & Holmes Brigade)
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Sally Port Mess
    Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
    Old Northwest Volunteers

"If the men pursue the enemy as vigorously as they do the whores they will make very efficient soldiers."
    Charles B. Haydon, 2nd Michigan-May 6, 1861

"The horse is dead, his bones beat to a fine powder, the powder used to make a fine biscuit, and the biscuit beaten back into a powder."
    John Wickett

For some reason this event is getting a lot of buzz out here, which is very unusual for large eastern events. Most of my company is probably attending, in fact we are renting a vehicle to do so. Our first sergeant is a retired army artillery full colonel and working to get us chow and hot showers at Carlisle barracks after the event.
    Mike Phineas
    Arlington, TX
    24th Missouri
    Army of the Frontier
    www.24thmissouri.org

\"The floggings will continue until morale improves...\"

Quote Originally Posted by Strawfoot View Post
    For some reason this event is getting a lot of buzz out here, which is very unusual for large eastern events. Most of my company is probably attending, in fact we are renting a vehicle to do so. Our first sergeant is a retired army artillery full colonel and working to get us chow and hot showers at Carlisle barracks after the event.
    Mike,
    Glad to hear that it is getting some buzz! From what I am hearing and what I am seeing from some of the people that are working on units and scenrios(the above mentioned people being a great example) there is going to be A LOT of very good stuff going on at this event. And hopefully will prove to be one of the most authentic and reenactor friendly Gettysburg to date. And lets just be honest. Its the 150th. Only going happen once. I think that is the mindset of many folks. And the people planning this event are not taking that notion lightly I can assure you..
    Chris Owens

ooschris@hotmail.com

CWT

150th BGA Gettysburg. June 27-30 2013

"War is old men talking and young men dying"

Well, I'm not getting glassy eyed over the prospect of a large eastern mainstream event, but I will say this... When I was a very young kid I read Bruce Catton's Army of the Potomac trilogy, and was especially fascinated with the Iron Brigade at Gettysburg, especially the 24th Michigan. Those men were heroes to me, just as much so as Pete Rose, Jerry West, or even John Wayne... I will never forget how they told General Doubleday that "if we couldn't hold the ground, where will you find men who can...?" Those early impressions got me into re-enacting later in life, and it's been in my mind ever since to someday do an Iron Brigade at Gettysburg impression.

No disillusions, or visions of granduer... It is what it is, but I will be there.
    Mike Phineas
    Arlington, TX
    24th Missouri
    Army of the Frontier
    www.24thmissouri.org

\"The floggings will continue until morale improves...\"

We did a fairly decent job in 1998.....had over 400 rifles in trying to do a man for man 24th MI. we did the flag drops and officer casualties per the readings.....re-ammo-d, sent out details to get water between lulls in the battle.....Hardee Hats and red felt circles.....fun times.
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

Mike,

I too read Bruce Catton's trilogy when I was young. It made the same impression on me as it did you. Catton's writing brought it all to life so vividly I've never forgotten it. I hope to work in time to re-read them, at least the parts on Gettysburg before the event this summer. I was pleased to portray the 19th Indiana at the High Tide event and had a spectacular time. Have also worked with the Black Hats and done Iron Brigade Living history for NPS.

See you this summer,
    Bob Minton
    Army of the Ohio
    Yearning for my younger days Mess!