Thread: Are these Civil War Soldiers?

Hybrid View

Default Are these Civil War Soldiers?

Can anyone help me identify the men in the photo as Civil War Soldiers. If they are, what side are they on, and what rank might they be?

Thanks!

Holly

Hallo!

On my monitor, the image is about half an inch square....

Curt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

Not a real Civil War reenactor, I only portray one on boards and fora.
    I do not portray a Civil War soldier, I merely interpret one.

same here. Can't do much identifying with that image. Try utilizing a photo site like Photobucket or something similiar so that the image can be expanded
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010

Had to enlarge it to 800 percent and squint my eyes before I could make out anything. They appear to be 3 Union soldiers, a corporal on the left, and a sergeant on the right, possibly with a Hardee hat. Can't tell how many stripes. The one in the middle could be an officer. He looks like he’s wearing a Hardee hat, too. He has stripes on his trousers, and maybe an epaulette on one of his shoulders. That’s a very large tent directly behind them with other large tents and a building in the background. It may or may not be Civil War era. Hard to tell. If you had a higher resolution version, it could be enlarged with more detail.
    Last edited by Quickstep; 01-02-2013 at 09:21 PM.

look like 1870 to 1880s style blouses and pants.
    Jim Kilbourne

Found a way to blow up a little bit, but it was starting to pixilate a bit. I concur with Mr. Kilbourne above - it looks to be post CW period based upon the tighter fit and length of the fatigue blouses and the headgear on two of them appear to be the shorter crown kepi used in the 1870's and 80's. Until a better image can be put on here, that's my initial thoughts.
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010