Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May as well talk about volley fire

Interesting in the 2nd Manassas description of volley firing the front rank first, then the rear rank. It had been my understanding that was the reverse of the usual way. Possibly due to it preceding a charge, to allow the front rank a moment more of time to prepare to move out?
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B

Fantastic collection. Thanks for doing the work on the citations Mr. Miles.

WTH
    Yuma gonna luv it

"Recollections of the 4th Missouri Cavalry" William S Burns Page 90, 1st para. at Pleasant Hill LA (Red River Campaign) April 9 1864 while with General Smith's Federal Corps:

"The enemy's cavalry...sweeping across the field in one of the most perfect cavalry charges the late the late war produced...Col. Shaw ordered his men to reserve their fire until the horsemen approached sufficiently near to receive the full benefit of a full and steady volley. Fully one half of the men and horses were disabled at the first fire....Never was there a more complete annihilation of a cavalry regiment."
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

“Our left flank was twice turned and partially driven out of its works, but the enemy was easily checked, and our lines speedily restored. At about ten o’clock, our couriers for ammunition, previously prompt to return, did not come back, and it came to be believed that our trains had been captured. I at once cautioned my colonels, who fired only by volleys, not to waste a single round of ammunition, and my battery was similarly cautioned.” BG William B. Hazen Chickamauga A NARRATIVE OF MILITARY SERVICE

In The Field, May 5, 1864 “In action, it is directed that volley-firing be that habitually employed either by wing, rank, or battalion: and in order to be perfectly prepared to excute these fires correctly, battalion commanders will exercise their commands in firing without cartridges at least once a day until further orders. …: BG Hazen Chickamauga A NARRATIVE OF MILITARY SERVICE

Last weekend, at the Fredericksburg event, I found that volley fire was the only viable option when engaged in street fighting; both in the advance and retreat. The Company would fire a volley before breaking to the left and right by platoons. Since I only had two companies in column, there were gaps in the firing as the rear company reloaded. With three, or more companies in column, with well trained troops, I figure you could fire a company volley every fifteen, or twenty seconds.
    Bill Rodman, If you need a really bad example.
    King of Prussia, PA
    wrodman1@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheQM View Post
    Last weekend, at the Fredericksburg event, I found that volley fire was the only viable option when engaged in street fighting; both in the advance and retreat. The Company would fire a volley before breaking to the left and right by platoons. Since I only had two companies in column, there were gaps in the firing as the rear company reloaded. With three, or more companies in column, with well trained troops, I figure you could fire a company volley every fifteen, or twenty seconds.
    I thought they used 'street fighting' to stagger their firings at Fredericksburg.....
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "