Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at doing Indian Territory reenacting and need help about a descent jacket...

Default Looking at doing Indian Territory reenacting and need help about a descent jacket...

I am preparing to begin reenacting in Oklahoma, and am in need of trying to decide on a descent jacket for a Native American unit or a badly uniformed Texas soldier. I was looking at Townsend and Son, Inc. canvas off white hunting frock coat, http://jas-townsend.com/product_info...roducts_id=483 , for $85 since it looks warm for winter and had that fringe look. I know the coat is more for 1700s-1840s, but I was wondering if it would work for Oklahoma since there were men who still wore buckskin coats of a very similar pattern to the canvas coat, and examples of the buckskin are http://jayhawkersandredlegs.blogspot...onnection.html and http://jayhawkersandredlegs.blogspot...jennisons.html . Also, I am looking at it because I want to do dragoons for the 1840s, and this would probably work for that era as well. I just wanted some advice, and if it would not work then what would be a good descent priced coat and from where to use in the Oklahoma and Texas area. Thanks.

Honestly,just 1840s work clothing would work best if you're doing civilian.If you're doing military,than you'll need to learn the Federal regulations for the impression.So a mixture of work clothes and everyday dress would honestly do you best.
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn 'The Quiet Man'

There are several issues to consider. First, where are you here in IT and do you have a unit? If you have a unit find out what their standards are for uniforms first. I don't know many here who do strictly Native American for CW here. Matt Reed is the Native American collection curator at the Ok Historical society and a good source of information. He has regular and native impressions but Federal. Just remember that even doing Native troops you have 3 different regiments of Union IndIan Home Guard, and for Csa Cherokee Rifles, Creek, Choctaw and Chickasaw troops. There is a book specifically on dress/ uniforms in the IT that you need to find frankly. Don't have the title off the top of my head.
    If you don't have a unit, I don't recommend freelancing. Like our unit, most won't take a "walk on".
    Frank Siltman
    Cannoneer, Fort Sill Historic Gun Detachment
    24th MO Vol Inf
    Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

David,I missread your post.I thought you were doing 1840s impression.Frank has the best advice.Listen to your home unit.Another way to develop that impression is to visit museums and read first person accounts to try and see what is constantly popping up.If you keep seeing forage caps,for example,being mentioned in your reading,you know what to buy...
    Good luck.
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn 'The Quiet Man'

David,

If you are on Facebook, you might want to look up John Schwarz, I think he is in the OKC area now. He does lots of research into Trans-MS Civil War impressions and he has many friends who portray pre-war regulars as well.

As a general rule, C.S. units in the IT during the war were very poorly supplied, with most of the gear going to units on the Texas coast, Louisiana, or Arkansas.

Will MacDonald

I don't think you could go wrong with a jean cloth 'sheeps grey' plain commutation shell jacket, with a 6 or 7 button front. Check out Ben Tart's 'Natural Grey' jean. His goods are reasonably priced.

If you are looking to do native (Federal) Homeguard there is a remarkable number of images of regular enlists readily available. As well as a few of secessionist supporters as well. A good place to start with images is the museum at Newtonia, Mo.

I forgot to mention I am looking at doing Confederate, which is ironic because I have always wanted to do Union and that is the basic uniform I have. Anyways, I appreciate the advice. Also, since the uniforms in the West were so varied, I also have thought about getting a battle over shirt with the pockets (not the bib) since that was used out here, is similar to Native American style, and could also be used in the East. Any thought on that?

Oh, and I am looking into a Choctaw Rifles unit as well.

I have to re-iterate, go to the Oklahoma Historical Society. Indeed there were Native American troops at Newtonia, but I attended the 150th commemoration there this past Oct, and it is a small town museum with limited resources for research. In fact for immediate information the Osprey military series has a book that would be helpful to you and readily available, with good documentation as a starting place for your research; "The American Civil War in the Indian Territory". The fellow who wrote it is an Englishman ironically, but he is a professional Military museum curator with 30 years experience.
    Frank Siltman
    Cannoneer, Fort Sill Historic Gun Detachment
    24th MO Vol Inf
    Lawton/Fort Sill, OK