Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gettysburg, 1998 - For your viewing pleasure

Awwww how cute!

Rob

A South Carolinian Perspective:

The 135th Gettysburg event was one that I will never forget. My Dad and I had been involved in Living History for just over 3 years. At this event, I turned 16 on Sat, July 3rd. What a birthday I will never, ever forget (unless the Lord has other plans in my age). As we were formed up to go into staging for the Saturday afternoon events, I was called to the front of my Company. The three biggest, muscular men of the Company held me. One holding each arm, and the other my body. My Dad was given a huge frying pan, and I was given my Birthday licks.....1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2.....after a few more 1, 2s the men counted to 16. We marched off to battle.

Then Sunday, I have to say that in my life, I will probably never see a sight like that again. The Palmetto Battalion was one of the last Battalions to move out of the wood line at Pickett's Charge. My chit said that I would survive the battle and the war, and that I would return home. As we stepped off for our assault, I was simply in awe of what laid out before me. It was overwhelming to see the sea of blue across the field. Since we were on the far left of the Confederate line, looking to the right and seeing the gray masses for as far as I could see was heart wrenching. Well, as we got closer to the wall, our Bttn was plunged into a fierce gunfight with out opposition. I laid down and just marveled at the rest of the scenario.

I too now prefer quality over quantity, but those sights and emotions and bonding with my pards has had a profound impact on my life. I am 30 now, still carrying the rifled-musket and bedroll, and hope to do so for many, many more years!

I remain,
    Your Obedient Servant,
    Adam Moore
    B Company
    Palmetto Battalion

Cannon Foder of the
    Palmetto Company

Pipe Hitters Union
    Local 300

Quote Originally Posted by indguard View Post
    Can't we even talk about a dang event from almost a decade and a half ago without someone turning it into another boring Us vs Them attack, Elliot?

WTH
    How are my preferences considered an attack? Most of the posts are about the numbers and I'm sure it was impressive but in my experience numbers do not necessarily make the event. No worries though, forget I said anything. Obviously some chipped shoulders here.
    Gary Elliott
    18th Virginia Infantry
    Company B
    "Danville Grays"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary E. View Post
    How are my preferences considered an attack? Most of the posts are about the numbers and I'm sure it was impressive but in my experience numbers do not necessarily make the event. No worries though, forget I said anything. Obviously some chipped shoulders here.
    The typed word leaves it to one's imagination as to the tone and tenor of what is being said. Given the relatively divided nature of CW reenacting world as of late, the comment may have been taken as being catty by some or many. I suppose that reenacting has "evolved" since the 135th events, but if one was not at Gettysburg 1998 and didn't experience the sheer awe of so many massed troops, the thundering cannonade, etc. comments should, IMHO, be reserved.

Andy Redd
    Andy Redd

Please, don't insult our intelligence, Mr. Elliot. Andy Redd was exactly right in his last bit, there: "if one was not at Gettysburg 1998 and didn't experience the sheer awe of so many massed troops, the thundering cannonade, etc. comments should, IMHO, be reserved."

You, sir, could learn from Mr. Redd.

WTH
    Yuma gonna luv it

LAST MODERATOR NOTE FOR THIS THREAD: Lets take the personalities out of this There are certainly multiple hobbies within the hobby, and those who don't believe so either don't care or have their heads in the sand. Keep it on topic, without semantics and personal charges.
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010

Default 135th Video and Experience

Here is a video of mine. (sorry for the sad sound effects. It was lacking something. LOL ) but had a friend tape it that didn't go in line. I was on the other side of the Union line. Right next to the audience, in an Infantry line. It shows Pickett's Charge and the numbers that were there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av2FHRO9lgs

The 135th event was my first National I have ever done. And it was the most impressive event Because of the numbers.

Being in the 8th Illinois Cavalry. We got to do the first shot reenactment. I remember it like it was yesterday. ABOUT (Im guessing but pretty close) 500 dismounted cavalry in lines of about 5 deep 100 men in each line. And the 8th at a wall in front of all of them.

We had a good omen happen to us. While we were waiting for the Rebel Army to come out of the woods and at us.

The 8th Illinois Cavalry's battle cry is TALLY HO and our prelude on bugle is the beginning of "A Hunting We Will Go"

And while we were waiting. A FOX starting running around back and forth trying to get out of the field but kept running into people everywhere. Back and forth he went. Passing me about 20 feet away. It gave me shivers to see that and to know what we were about to do.

We had a member who had a relative in the original 8th fire the first shot.
    He fired and for almost an hour the Rebs just kept coming out of those woods at us. The fighting was intense. And when we got pulled off we looked behind us and saw the Black Hats coming out of the woods behind us. We were in the middle of these huge armies. That was impressive. I have not seen those numbers again. Wish I could.

It would be nice if we could fire the first shot again at the 150th. We will be there. TALLY HO !!!!!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Brian Mensching

Capt. B.A. Mensching of the
    8th Illinois Cavalry Regiment ~ Company B
    www.8thillinoiscavalry.org

Quote Originally Posted by indguard View Post
    Please, don't insult our intelligence, Mr. Elliot. Andy Redd was exactly right in his last bit, there: "if one was not at Gettysburg 1998 and didn't experience the sheer awe of so many massed troops, the thundering cannonade, etc. comments should, IMHO, be reserved."

You, sir, could learn from Mr. Redd.

WTH
    Well I'll go out on a limb and say he wasn't trying to start anything, just making an observation and not one meant to take anything away for the 135th. He's a good man and a friend, sometimes it's best to give people a shadow of a doubt, in this case you jumped the gun.
    Thanks,

Terry Shelton
    1st Regiment Kentucky Volunteers, Co E CSA
    1stky.org

What I have been reading in this thread says: "The numbers are forever etched in my mind" or "It was the most amazing experience I have ever had" and one chap believes that it is doubtful that God will provide a more moving experience then the Gettysburg he attended.

YET

There were tons of farbs, inaccuracies, broken scenarios, etc. etc. at that event. I do not promote or condone any of those but it was about the numbers.
    WE....meaning everyone who proclaim their awe in the volume of soldiers they had the good fortune to gaze upon.....could do it for one last time. But factionism, politics, egos, etc, etc, will likely prevent the very thing the posters were amazed by. Proclaim quality over quantity all day long but in the very back of your brain there is this little bird that wishes it could see 30,000 troops. It can..... but only one more time. After July 7th, just complain your heart out but until then, work toward getting those awesome numbers on the field, not against.

And due to popular demand, here comes the lock. This had good potential but thanks to a few who can't follow a theme or simple requests, it has run its course....
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010