Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading glasses

Default Reading glasses

Hello, can someone tell me where to find period or reading glasses that will fit the hobby? Thanks for any info.

Chaplain Langford

First, read the article here:

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ght=Spectacles

Then you'll be reasonably well prepared to search antique cases for a pair.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Default One place to look for new ones.

Paul Bostick
    Stillwater, OK

"For bad coffee, I play bad. For good coffee... I play the same as for bad coffee, it's all a matter of perspective".

To GGrandDad Captain TCK Bostick, Army of Mississippi, 2nd Corp, 5th Regiment, Company I (Kemper Rebels). Killed at the battle of Shiloh

Boyd Miles

I dream of a world where a chicken can cross a road without having its motives called into question.

There was a vendor at McDowell and Lee Takes Command who was selling a large selection of original frames with magnifying lenses. I bought a pair from him. Perfect in every detail. Can I remember his name? No. Can someone else who was there help me out? He also had antique bottles in abundance. I don't know if he has an electronic presence but I think that would be exactly what you're looking for.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

I bought a pair of the Focusers as listed above, and they are okay, don't stay up on the bridge of my nose very well and I tried bending the ear pieces to make them tighter fit. However, I fortunately kept looking and stumbled across a pair of originals in good shape that, while a little strong, suited me fine for reading. My recommendation: look for the originals in antique shops.
    Frank Siltman
    Cannoneer, Fort Sill Historic Gun Detachment
    24th MO Vol Inf
    Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Boyd, that's a dead link for my browser.
    Bill Cross
    Treasurer, The Rowdy Pards

'In the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of tomfoolery can explain away anything that makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong."

That was the direct link to the pdf file, try this: http://www.historiceyewearcompany.co...what-they-wore . This link is to the page with the link to the pdf file so it might work better for you. Good article, I spent more time with that than with the rest of the site but I did notice they have some links to places that look like they might do prescription lenses for the pricey frames they sell.
    Boyd Miles

I dream of a world where a chicken can cross a road without having its motives called into question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Weaver View Post
    There was a vendor at McDowell and Lee Takes Command who was selling a large selection of original frames with magnifying lenses. I bought a pair from him. Perfect in every detail. Can I remember his name? No. Can someone else who was there help me out? He also had antique bottles in abundance. I don't know if he has an electronic presence but I think that would be exactly what you're looking for.
    Might have been Bill MacIntosh -- I have a couple pairs from him, too.
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post
    Might have been Bill MacIntosh -- I have a couple pairs from him, too.
    You might be right. They are perfect frames. I wear contacts with my distance correction and put on my glasses when I want to read. If you can get ahold of him, I think you'd be very happy with the result.
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty